Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which printer to build for abs?

Posted by lhartmann 
Which printer to build for abs?
February 01, 2018 05:10PM
I have an i3 clone (prusa i3 improved for laser cut by twelvepro, i believe), but would like to have an enclosed build chamber for ABS prints.

Could you point me to a DIY printer model that is fully enclosed?

If possible I would like to reuse my mechanical components.

I also have access to a laser cutter, so it would be nice if it is mostly cut panels.

Thanks.
Re: Which printer to build for abs?
February 01, 2018 09:37PM
Have you checked into making an encloser for your current printer? IKEA lack tables?
February 01, 2018 09:38PM
With a laser cutter, wouldn't it be more economical to design, cut and assemble an enclosure for your i3 rather than buy a whole separate printer?
February 02, 2018 08:46AM
You can make a thermally insulating enclosure for any printer using a $15 sheet of PIR foam insulation board (practically fireproof!), a razor knife, a straight edge, and some duct tape in about 15 minutes.

Trying to burn PIR foam with a torch

Once you've enclosed the printer you can test it to see if it gets warm enough to print ABS using just the bed heater. You'll need 45-50C inside the enclosure to print ABS reliably.

Make sure your printer doesn't have any PLA printed parts! It is best to move electronics outside the enclosure. If you have any motors that run hot at room temperature, they'll run very hot inside the enclosure- you should check current settings to use enough current but not so much that motors will get excessively hot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 08:50AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 04, 2018 06:43PM
Practically fire proof, and the fumes given off during burning are cyanide gas!
February 04, 2018 09:32PM
garyhlucas
Practically fire proof, and the fumes given off during burning are cyanide gas!

If you watch the video, the torch directed at the stuff has a hard time getting it to burn.

According to page 3 of the MSDS, the byproducts of combustion are CO and CO2.

"Hazardous thermal decomposition products: Decomposition products may include the following
materials:, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide "

Where did you see anything about cyanide gas? Maybe you're thinking of polystyrene foam insulation...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login