Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS Supplier in the US

Posted by brnrd 
ABS Supplier in the US
April 14, 2011 08:53PM
Ultimachine seems to be completely out of ABS. Not much selection in Makerbot either. Are there other sources for 3 mm ABS?

Thanks.
Re: ABS Supplier in the US
April 15, 2011 10:29AM
Here are two suppliers in the US.

[plasticweldingrod.com]

[www.villageplastics.com]

smiling smiley
April 15, 2011 11:58PM
Makerbot store has a good supply of ABS in 3mm and 1.75 mm. I've had nothing but good experience with them. If there is enough interest, I have some imported and sell on my blog.
April 16, 2011 07:50PM
@Cdnreprap - Thanks. Does villageplastics sell ABS? It wasn't listed as one of the choices for a quote.
@13thfloor - Makerbot seems to be low on supply.

I'm looking for natural color ABS.
April 16, 2011 08:24PM
What are the popular colors and diameters that people need. I see that natural is a choice. I'll see if I can contact some Chinese manufacturers for a shipment. Last time I checked, they want 20kg/color minimal.
April 16, 2011 08:56PM
I read in the makerbot operators group that village plastics is the supplier for Makerbot so they probably sell ABS. I requested a quote. I'll see what their response is. There's also another supplier that I found there: [www.abbeon.com]. They sell natural ABS for $57 for a 5 lb coil. Ultimaker's price is lower at $45 but they're out of stock.
April 18, 2011 06:53AM
@13'thfloor

Be sure to manage the quality when talking to the Chinese. Someone in the UK got a load of stuff but unfortunately the quality was a little off - the profile was oval at probably 3.2 by 2.8 or thereabouts. Nasty profile.
April 19, 2011 02:17AM
Makergear has some 3mm ABS in stock:

MakerGear.com - Filament
April 19, 2011 08:52AM
CdnReprap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here are two suppliers in the US.
>
> [plasticweldingrod.com]
>
> [www.villageplastics.com]
>
> smiling smiley

I received a reply from them. Both of them have 3 mm ABS in stock for around $40 and $50 per 5 pound coil, respectively in their stock colors.
April 19, 2011 10:04PM
AgeingHippy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @13'thfloor
>
> Be sure to manage the quality when talking to the
> Chinese. Someone in the UK got a load of stuff but
> unfortunately the quality was a little off - the
> profile was oval at probably 3.2 by 2.8 or
> thereabouts. Nasty profile.

Also request material data sheets. 'ABS' has an incredibly wide range of properties, depending on just which resin you're using. Makerbot uses PA-747, Stratasys uses injection mold resins (MG94 and such).

[haveblue.org]
April 20, 2011 02:05PM
Is MG resin consider the best? What's the main difference between that and abs 747 and 747 in terms of printability?
May 05, 2011 02:57PM
MG47 prints much better on a Stratasys machine than PA-747 does. The biggest difference between the two is that the MG47 has a much higher melt flow rate (you can push the material through a nozzle much more easily at a given temperature).

[haveblue.org]
May 05, 2011 03:11PM
I talked to a manufacturer, and was told that 746 would be easier to extrude than 747 as well.
May 06, 2011 11:20AM
The 756 series will be even easier than the 746.

[haveblue.org]
May 06, 2011 06:58PM
Ultimachine is begining to get ABS and PLA back in stock. They have Black ABS only at the moment, and Green, Blue, Black and White PLA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login