Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DC Barrel Jacks

Posted by Trakyan 
DC Barrel Jacks
February 04, 2018 11:50PM
I've been looking around for some female DC barrel jacks that can take around 12V and 10A dc, but all of the ones I find are rated to 4-5A at the most. Most boards don't have a built in female DC jack for power input, and those that do don't have software settable driver current (or at least those that i've seen) so if anyone has any suggestions on that front I'm interested too.
Re: DC Barrel Jacks
February 05, 2018 01:09AM
Correct DC barrel Jacks cannot take that sort of current, which is why ramps and other boards have other connectors.. (To varying degrees of success)

You probably want is a laptop connectors that have a inside and outside metal connections for high current. The central pin is not used for current.

(http://nerdipedia.com/wiki/show_image.php?id=241)

1 is GND
2 is +V
3 is normally a sense wire of one sort or another.

As for what they are called.... sadly I dont know...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 01:09AM by Dust.
February 05, 2018 10:54AM
Laptop barrel jacks rarely have to take high current as laptops are often 19v or higher, so the current is usually 3-5A at most.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
February 05, 2018 07:33PM
I've seen some 12v 10a laptop charger style power bricks with male barrel jacks, so I'm assume there is a corresponding female plug that can take that amperage. Some of the Mks boards and the printrboard have female barrel jacks on the board for power.
February 06, 2018 04:15AM
For DC connectors at 10 amp look at Anderson Powerpole pp15

[en.wikipedia.org]
February 06, 2018 01:23PM
Digikey has a selection of barrel connectors that are rated at 10-11A
Digikey 10A barrel connectors

Newark/RS components/mouser should have them as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 01:24PM by Jrjones.
February 09, 2018 06:39PM
jcamp
For DC connectors at 10 amp look at Anderson Powerpole pp15

[en.wikipedia.org]

The power pole connectors stack up too. You can make multipole connectors of any size. The contacts are spring loaded and have wiping action that cleans the contacts when they make and break. Not to mention they are rated for 600V and are available in ratings to 600 amps for those of you powering your printer from a fork truck battery!
February 11, 2018 03:38AM
I used these on my lipo powered microdelta machine, very good connectors. Nothing to stop people reversing the polarity though except on being black and one being red.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login