Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strong print bed coating out of sugar and wood glue

Posted by satsuma 
Strong print bed coating out of sugar and wood glue
February 06, 2018 02:41PM
Hello all,
when printing ABS on my delta printer I had a hard time to figure out a bed coating that really keeps the prints from warping off the bed.
Somewhere in a discussion thread I read that UHU stic would be a good material to fix the prints on the bed. So I looked in my office box and found an old UHU stic, that really worked well. After the stic was empty I bought a new one in a shop, but for what ever reason the same product didn't work any more suddenly. Whatever I did, I could not get the new UHU stic working for me, so I had a problem. Perhaps the manufacturer changed the recipe ? In a forum I read the tip to use cheap wood glue mixed with a little water as a bed coating. Hoever that didn't work either, though the wood glue was water solvent. Then I tried powder sugar as a glue, but that again didn't work. Finally when I was desperate because I could not finish my prints, I tried to mix the powder sugar with the rest of the wood glue. And believe it or not, that worked perfectly. This mixture of Powder sugar with wood glue on my 112 ° C hot print bed was so successful that I sometimes had difficulties to remove the prints from the bed.

The Mixture:

50 % white wood glue (UHU original white wood glue - water solvent)
50 % powder sugar
Add droplets of water until you have a viscosity similiar to salad oil.

Apply a thin layer of the mixture with a small sponge onto the bed.

The glue may be easily re-activated if too dry by spotting onto it with a moist sponge - even if the print bed is already hot.

If you want to see the packing of the wood glue I use, see:

http://bechele.de/pages/english/152-0.html
VDX
Re: Strong print bed coating out of sugar and wood glue
February 06, 2018 03:02PM
... mix the wood glue with some malt beer winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 06, 2018 03:02PM
satsuma
Hello all,
when printing ABS on my delta printer I had a hard time to figure out a bed coating that really keeps the prints from warping off the bed.
Somewhere in a discussion thread I read that UHU stic would be a good material to fix the prints on the bed. So I looked in my office box and found an old UHU stic, that really worked well. After the stic was empty I bought a new one in a shop, but for what ever reason the same product didn't work any more suddenly. Whatever I did, I could not get the new UHU stic working for me, so I had a problem. Perhaps the manufacturer changed the recipe ? In a forum I read the tip to use cheap wood glue mixed with a little water as a bed coating. Hoever that didn't work either, though the wood glue was water solvent. Then I tried powder sugar as a glue, but that again didn't work. Finally when I was desperate because I could not finish my prints, I tried to mix the powder sugar with the rest of the wood glue. And believe it or not, that worked perfectly. This mixture of Powder sugar with wood glue on my 112 ° C hot print bed was so successful that I sometimes had difficulties to remove the prints from the bed.

The Mixture:

50 % white wood glue (UHU original white wood glue - water solvent)
50 % powder sugar
Add droplets of water until you have a viscosity similiar to salad oil.

Apply a thin layer of the mixture with a small sponge onto the bed.

The glue may be easily re-activated if too dry by spotting onto it with a moist sponge - even if the print bed is already hot.

If you want to see the packing of the wood glue I use, see:

http://bechele.de/pages/english/152-0.html

Noticed the same with UHU stick. Had a very old one may be 10 years that worked great but not a new one. This is also true for most of the new "green" glues.
Since I switched to Buildtack and use this new UHU stick to REDUCE the sticking power of the Buildtack that I was damaging when removing the parts in PETG.
Will try your slurry on glass soon as my BuildTack start to look like the moon surface.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 03:04PM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
February 06, 2018 03:16PM
[www.youtube.com]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 06, 2018 03:52PM
I use kapton tape on aluminium, no need for sticky food on my bed...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login