Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Acrylic plastic(PMMA) for Prusa i3 frame?

Posted by JonathanC 
Acrylic plastic(PMMA) for Prusa i3 frame?
February 24, 2018 07:56AM
I am building a Prusa i3 and I'm trying to find out what material would be best to use for the frame of the printer?

I can use a laser cutter which can cut plywood or acrylic plastic but NOT METALS, I looked into purchasing a metal frame but they are too pricy for my budget. So I was thinking of using acrylic plastic as it is fairly rigid, would this be an ok alternative to a metal frame?
Re: Acrylic plastic(PMMA) for Prusa i3 frame?
February 24, 2018 06:45PM
Acrylic is non ideal, but it will produce a functioning printer. I wouldn't call it a substitute for metal though.
February 24, 2018 07:39PM
I priced some acrylic sheets, its not that cheap. Ply is likely cheaper.
Heck, Tom Sanladerer used MDF.

All the i3 clones use acrylic. Its rigid, but brittle, take car at sharp angles and holes, it can crack easily.

2020 extrusion is about the same price or so isn't it? I saw like $5 per meter online.
February 24, 2018 08:39PM
@orbitalair

"All the" cheap and nasty "i3 clones use acrylic"

acrylic will crack and shatter and warp. Its not worth it.
February 25, 2018 01:05AM
Orbitalair had a good point, for a similar cost to an acrylic frame you could put together an extrusion based one like the tevo tarantula. Much more rigid and durable, as others have mention acrylic is brittle and cracks. You'll find this out right around when you start screwing the frame together.
February 26, 2018 11:28AM
Id go for a Hiquality ply, with as many layers as possible. 5-10mm thick.
with as many layers you can find.
It will not warp. and be stiff enough for a purse style.
aircraft is still being built in this. Ive removed fabric of wooden gliders that is 50+years old.
Looks still good, and have no warping.
February 26, 2018 02:50PM
If using ply, remember to paint or lacquer it. Or moisture gets in and damages it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login