Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Experimental new infill pattern - Gyroid

Posted by Quintox303 
Experimental new infill pattern - Gyroid
March 02, 2018 10:09AM
I tested out an experimental version of Slic3r PE with Gyroid infill enabled, and it came out absolutely amazing. I think this infill pattern could be one of the best for strength, not to mention that it looks incredible on its own.

I made a video about it here if any of you are interested: [youtu.be]

And I'll have a video with strength testing coming soon grinning smiley I can't wait to see how far this goes!
Re: Experimental new infill pattern - Gyroid
March 02, 2018 10:57AM
Like the hex pattern, I'm not sure if its slow print speed and machine shaking justify its use as infill, but it sure looks nice for an outer surface!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 02, 2018 10:59AM
Thanks for making the video. Gyroid infill seems like a revolutionary feature.
March 02, 2018 02:59PM
May be better than hex in terms of machine shaking & print speed since there's no sharp corners... I guess more of a sinusoidal motion?
March 02, 2018 03:06PM
Gyroid ?, sounds like a tasty mushroom, looks like it is worth a try.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
March 02, 2018 04:24PM
or something that happens to your sphincter after a strenuous stint of hula hoops.
March 03, 2018 06:56AM
So is this available to use now with Slic3rPE? Be interesting to see how it compares to cubic or solid infill for strength and rigidity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2018 06:58AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
March 04, 2018 02:23AM
I'd be more interested in infil print speed. Honeycomb is pretty slow because the printer begins to shake and cubic takes forever because there are three patterns to print each layer.
A 3D sinewave pattern might be the answer.
March 06, 2018 04:58AM
Okay so this is available for slicerPE via experimental version 1.38 Merrill. However this is a linux version, and I have no idea how to compile it for windows, so can anyone link me to a windows version of PE which does gyroid infill, I'd love to give this a try.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
March 06, 2018 06:15AM
I was looking for it, too. But 1.39.beta doesn't have it ( win64)
Is there a chance to run it on a RaspberryPi3?
I also have a Linux distribution that runs from DVD. If your PC supports multi boot options, this might be a chance. I haven't tried it yet, just remembered the Linux-DVD while typing.
March 06, 2018 06:58AM
I could run a linux virtual machine and use it, but my linux skills are so poor installing a program is beyond me. Shameful really.

I think they will include it in a future version, why not?

Simon Khoury

March 06, 2018 09:09AM
The windows x86 version is here - [mega.nz] it has both the ironing/smoothing feature and the gyroid infil.

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
March 06, 2018 10:52AM
Brilliant thank you very much.

Simon Khoury

March 06, 2018 03:30PM
Really don't see this as a "good" infill, as there's considerable start/stops and bridging to complete the structure.
Yea, if terminated at aesthetic surface boundries it looks cool.

Compared to linear infill it will be not as good for creating flat ceilings, as a linear grid provides a more stable support.
Besides, unless the structural analysis turns out to be magically superior, it's pretty much widely agreed shells (perimeter thickness) has a larger impact on print strength than infill.

Here's a gif from wiki:
[en.wikipedia.org]

As you can see, it's not always sinusoidal.

March 07, 2018 01:44AM
This gif is hypnotic eye popping smiley
A infill should be drawn in one line without retractions or travels. But this looks so cool, I have to print someting with it.
Just like my "voronoi"-collection..
March 07, 2018 08:44AM
I did make some prints with this slic3r version last night. Both in carbon fibre petg one with perimeters and one without.

They are both extremely strong, the cube with perimeters (3 walls, 3 top and bottom) is 40x40x20 and is so strong I cannot dent it using finger pressure at all. It prints faster than cubic.

Just to pick up on a couple of comments in this thread,
1) infill should be one line, no starts and stop. Well gyroid as its implemented here infills in one continuous line as best it can. However cubic infill is only so much stronger as it does intersect itself within a layer.
2) Bridges, the gyroid infill does not bridge it branches, of a fashion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 08:47AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

March 07, 2018 09:22AM
*UFF* It's almost like meeting someone in person you only know from her facebook fotos. eye popping smiley
What was the infill-%? Maybe it gets better with higher infill.
I'm sure they are working on a better implementation.
March 07, 2018 09:26AM
Don't you like the look of her? She's strong and beautiful on the outside, pretty harsh to judge someone by the looks of their internals. winking smiley

Simon Khoury

March 07, 2018 04:57PM
A few "thin" gyroid prints reveal the same issue with bidging, mind you this is not using any infill plugin, just STLs.
If the shape was slightly altered so the bridges were at rising 45 angles, rather than round, it would knit better...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login