Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

x2 layer heights in one print?

Posted by 88Zombies 
x2 layer heights in one print?
March 13, 2018 10:24AM
Does an one know of any slicing sofware that allows the user to change the layer resolutions mid print.

example:
I have a 250mm tall model. the first 200mm has no real detail and could be printed at 0.2mm for speed.
the last 50mm is detailed and needs to be printed at 0.1mm..

currently i'm having to print the whole thing at 0.1mm for the top which takes 3-4 days... annoying.
being able to increase resolution only after the first 200mm could cut the print to just less than 2 days!

any help much appreciated!
Re: x2 layer heights in one print?
March 13, 2018 11:05AM
Slic3r will allow you to specify as many layer thickness changes as you like. You specify the start and end Z values and the layer thickness between those values. I don't have Slic3r on this computer so I can't tell you the specific menus to find it, but it's there and not too hard to find. "Object properties" comes to mind...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 13, 2018 12:20PM
I think it's only the Prusa edition of slic3r that has that, still free, but a different download :
[www.prusaprinters.org]
March 13, 2018 12:40PM
No. They all do. It's been there for years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2018 12:40PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 13, 2018 01:21PM
Slic3rPE has an additional layer editing modus, which allows a lot more complex layer height specifications.
The usual layer height setup is in the "settings/layer" menu of the plater window.
March 14, 2018 08:42AM
Haven't done it but in Slic3r you can do more complex things by defining volumes of the model. Im sure there will be somethings you can't do but basically you load your model, then import another model, over lay the parts and define specific parameters for where they over lap. the second model is not printed as a part its used as the boundery for the settings.
For example :-
You want to print a cylinder diameter 50mm and 100mm high - so you load that model.
You then create in CAD and import an STL of a cube 80mm on all sides. position it 10mm above the bed surface and on the same centre as the cylinder.
You specify different properties for where the parts overlap, layer hight, infill etc.
Then slice. the result would change the parameters at 10mm above the bed and reset them 90mm above the bed.
In theory you can have different layer height on the same layer (offset the cube to one side so it doesnt contain the complete layer).
Obviously i used simple shapes to explain it but you can use complex models and more than one.
June 12, 2018 06:27AM
Bon dia:

I was also looking for that feature and I found this:
[shapeforge.loria.fr]
Worth to take a look at...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 02:01AM by fruscus.
June 13, 2018 01:28AM
Cura also lets you do "adaptive" layer heights. You can set a nominal layer height, and the maximum deviation from that nominal. I.e. 0.5 +-0.25 mm layer height means the layer height can swing between 0.25 and 0.75 mm. Cura then automatically adjust layer height for more or less detailed sections of the print, you can also adjust the threshold value (I believe its based on some trig regarding how drastic the horizontal offset of the next layer is relative to the current one) which determines the slope (or change in slope?) at which Cura will switch to a finer layer height. You can define how different each layer height can be from the previous layer height to create a sort of gradient rather than sudden change when transitioning between layer heights. Pretty neat feature and I'd consider it more useful than discrete layer height changes based off user defined heights.
June 24, 2018 07:33AM
Silmplify3d has this capability. [www.simplify3d.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login