Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DIY cartesian build, need suggestions!

Posted by sircbg 
DIY cartesian build, need suggestions!
March 20, 2018 06:12PM
Hi all!
First time posting, hope it's in the right category.
Hello I'm searching for new parts for a cartesian printer after the ramps+arduino mega clone died today.

My current (working) part list:
Four anet stepper motors
Anet 12V power supply
Anet heat bed (all these from an anet a8)
End stops
LCD monitor
Original E3D V6 hot end
5V inductive proximity sensor switch
Orballo steel frame

What I want for this "last" upgrade:
- wifi connectivity (a webcam would be nice aswell)
- able to print almost everything but mostly PLA and PETG
- be sort of the last and best of it can get right now

What should I get? My ideas and questions:
- board: was looking into the forum and stumbled across the Duet. As it offers wifi aswell it should avoid me getting an octoprint aswell plus it seems very recommended and it has an edge over Smoothieboard for me as I'm already familiar with Marlin firmware.
- new heat bed: MK3 ALU-Heatbed? Is enough to reach 100/110C? would it be better with a 24V power supply? I've no idea on which brand should I get into or where to shop from. (I need to buy a thermistor for it aswell, right? a 100k is okay?) Is glass plate better?
- new power supply: 24V is strongly recommended over Duet3d and I'm agreeing with them. But as heat bed, I've no idea which one...
- new heat cartridge? I've bought the 12V kit from E3D, I'll need to upgrade to the 24V version
- do I need a new probe? In that case, which one?
- do I need to buy anything else to attach to the duet board? Do anyone suggest the touch screen( not worth the 80pound IMO if I'm going to use the printer from another room through wifi)?

Thanks in advance for anyone that will help! I've tried to keep it short to ease on the readers, I'll answer any questions related to my setup or things that I've missed.
Re: DIY cartesian build, need suggestions!
March 21, 2018 02:53AM
Ditch the inductive probe and go for a piezo setup, much more precise and less weight on the X-carriage (see this thread)
24V PSU is a must if you want to print ABS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2018 02:53AM by whosrdaddy.
March 21, 2018 03:04AM
Too bad you lost your current printer. It is always handy to have a working printer when you build a new one. Especially for Piezo sensor brackets and other stuff, which needs taylor-made parts.
My recommendation: get your Anet A8 working first.

According to your wishlist, you'll need several new parts anyway (24V PSU, different steppers?, controller )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2018 03:07AM by o_lampe.
March 21, 2018 04:34AM
@whosrdaddy

Yep, the piezo setup is really nice! But I think I'll stick with the inductive probe for a little longer since I don't want to reprint all my x-axis carriage's pieces (it is like prusa mk2 at the moment)
Do you have any power supply to recommend?
Thank you! smiling smiley

@o_lampe

While you are making a good point in having a working printer, I've access to another printer getting the anet working again isn't really the plan (need to buy another ramp module since the anet's board is dead)
I've seen that the duet, while expensive, has all the steppers/component into it and I don't want to spend for another chinese ramp.
Thank you! smiling smiley

I've slept over and I've decided to go for the 24V setup and buy the duetwifi and ditch, for now, the octoprint setup.
Now I have these questions left:

- heat bed: glass or aluminium? Which one do you suggest?
- power supply: any suggestion on which brand? I've seen Mean Well getting good reviews.
March 21, 2018 04:37AM
Regarding the PSU, don't skimp on that part, buy an original mean well.
You first need to decide which bed you want to buy as this will influence the choice of the PSU.
March 21, 2018 05:10AM
A glass plate requires an aluminum bed anyway, so the question is: MK3-bed or cast aluminum with silicone heater?
For a Cartesian printer, I'd recommend the lighter MK3 bed in standard size. If you want a bigger bed, Cartesian kinematic is not the best choice.
March 21, 2018 05:41AM
For example this one(sorry for the italian) Are there some better options?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2018 05:43AM by sircbg.
March 22, 2018 03:30AM
Yes, that's the classic MK3 heatbed. You can mount it with the heater facing down and print right on the back. ( with blue painters tape or glass plate )
It requires some solder skills to attach the thick wires, but it only cost 1/3rd of cast aluminum plate with silicone heater.
March 22, 2018 05:54AM
That's no problem, already populated some pcbs.
Only problem that I've right now is finding a Mean Well power suplly above 120W that isn't 500W... Do you have any site that sell them?

Edit: found them, was looking for a model that doesn't reach higher wattage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2018 06:29AM by sircbg.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login