Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap family tree

Posted by Emmanuel 
RepRap family tree
April 21, 2011 10:25AM
A friend and I had thought to make a sort of "family tree" showing the development and variation of the reprap project (and it's inspired cousins).

The goal : is to have a nice graphic and to print some sexy poster of it, maybe by pre-ordering a batch with the help of a kickstarter'like and then share it with the world.
Our deadline : mid-June (cause it will be cool to display it for the opening of the http://fablabsquared.org/ during an event in Paris)

At the moment we are mostly organizing the charts and trying some aesthetic concepts we had (from a simple visualization with pictograms to a CnCable version^^)
Maybe adding also a comparison table of the different printers and some interesting facts like the growing number of machines.

I wanted to add a page on the wiki for this project, and the Reprap_history encouraged me for that smiling smiley

So it's here : Reprap_Family_Tree
And you're welcome to help us for eventual mistake in the order of appearance, if you have an advice, etc... adding a following comment or on the "discussion" tab of the page smileys with beer
Re: RepRap family tree
June 01, 2011 11:41AM
Did you ever wonder about the history of the reprap ?

Tadaaa, the new version is up :

[reprap.org]

What do you think ?
June 01, 2011 11:55AM
I like it. Great work. Maybe make the size of the circles/font size indicative of # in the wild (rough estimate of course) or something so the more popular bots draw the eye immediately.
June 03, 2011 12:18PM
Thanks smiling smiley

The most common bots (roughly estimated) are those with a thick line (so the Darwin is less common today).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 01:42PM by Emmanuel.
June 03, 2011 04:42PM
I don't like the icons, they add visual clutter without providing any more information than the filled circles.

Loving the project though, I'm going to print out one of the landscape ones and stick it on my wall smiling smiley

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
June 05, 2011 12:08AM
hey cool. i never though it was that diverse already, but now your missing the new makergear one too. though personally i would have liked to see them stick with the mendle over there own design, but i do get why they would do that, and i think it makes sense for them to do it too.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
June 05, 2011 12:29AM
In fairness the "new" makergear one is a clone of the Up!...
June 05, 2011 12:31AM
true i will not argue that, i do find it interesting to see how things evolve though.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
June 05, 2011 06:37AM
I must take a look at Makergear sounds interesting.. Love the project its a nice represtentation..

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
June 05, 2011 05:09PM
Thanks for the feedback ! Indeed for the icons' version, it's far from ready yet (and maybe for a limited tree, we will see^^).

And just saw the new makergear Mosaic, wow !
That's an interesting mix of concepts (mainly the one-arm-plateform of the Up! but in wood)
Always cool to see other printers poping sometimes smiling smiley

(hop just added it to the chart)
June 06, 2011 05:58PM
This is cool, but I think the differentiation between commercial and OSHW is a little fuzzy. A MakerBot is comercial, but it's also OpenSource. UP! isn't open source, but it is working, which would give it the same icon as a MakerBot, which wouldn't be right. Maybe a green circle around the open projects and a red circle around the non-open projects? Then you could just use the fill color inside the circle to designate working, experimental, or concept.

--
Tony Buser http://tonybuser.com * http://reprap.org/wiki/User:Tbuser#Projects
June 06, 2011 06:33PM
Additional bot: Huxley MD which is almost completed - started March 2011, pictures available here: [www.flickr.com]

self promotion, but will be releasing files in next couple of weeks, along with the release of the heated build platform for huxley's.

Self promotional plug i know but im hopig me and Jeanmarc can get the huxleys to be the 'Portable 3D Printer' which is reliable as the Prusa

nat
June 10, 2011 01:32PM
How would you fit something like the RepRap Snapdragon, where the design is a hybrid of Darwin, MTM Snap (Not a RepRap), and Prusa design ideas?

I noticed that Up! just kind of comes into being, but that's understandable for a commercial product.
June 10, 2011 06:52PM
gr0k
...I think the differentiation between commercial and OSHW is a little fuzzy. A MakerBot is commercial, but it's also OpenSource. UP! isn't open source, but it is working, which would give it the same icon as a MakerBot, which wouldn't be right.

I agree that we can improve the legend, it's clear in my mind but can generate some confusion as you suggested ^^'

The full blue circle mean "commercial and non-opensource" (and usually only released when working).

The black/blue circle is for the projects that are opensource but designed and sold by a specific company (like the makergear prusa, the techzone huxley or the makerbot cupcake)

I hesitated to move the blue at the bottom of the legend, to mean it's the exception while the rest is open-source.
We will see if that's clearer in the 2.11 smiling smiley

Roboteernat
Additional bot: Huxley MD which is almost completed - started March 2011
Self promotional plug i know but im hopig me and Jeanmarc can get the huxleys to be the 'Portable 3D Printer' which is reliable as the Prusa

Hope too, and will be added (thanks to mention the date for me)

jcabrer
How would you fit something like the RepRap Snapdragon, where the design is a hybrid of Darwin, MTM Snap (Not a RepRap), and Prusa design ideas?

I add a new branch :p
When its broadly inspired like that (to not draw line everywhere) and because its also a candidate for a greater self-replication (as many projects for the gada prize) smiling smiley
June 12, 2011 01:37AM
In fairness, the Mosaic is as much inspired by my repraps and cupcakes as it is by my Ups.
July 26, 2011 10:25PM
Not to be a pedant, but the 'JunkStrap' is actually a derivative of the original Darwin, not the McWire.

Thanks,
Buzz.
( I was the first to use the JunkStrap title, I think.).
July 28, 2011 08:25AM
Ok, will correct that in the next revision smiling smiley
August 31, 2011 02:28PM
Please use the svg (scalable vector graphics), this is makes this project even more beautiful (with a SVG file you can scale the picture up to every size, used (preferred) fileformat on Wikipedia, and useful for printing posters and other high-quality stuff.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics

There is a open-source SVG editor called Inkscape, if you like Adobe products Adobe Illustrator is also nice.

I also came up with the idea to make such a family tree, but you were before me...
September 03, 2011 05:54AM
Indeed, as I'm using Illustrator it wouldn't be a problem to export it in svg, with all the advantages of vectors
September 04, 2011 04:38PM
Done winking smiley

(RFT now in version 3.1)
September 04, 2011 10:21PM
according to chrome 14.0.835.126
reprap.org/mediawiki/images/8/86/RFT_timeline2006-2012.svg

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 5395 at column 43: Namespace prefix inkscape for groupmode on g is not defined
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

I get some axes and the mendel 3d view in the top left, but no graph

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
September 05, 2011 01:02PM
Exporting in SVG from illustrator seems to be a problem, could you also add the .ai file. I added the PDF file for the people who just want top print it. I'm going to use this graphic for a prezi presentation on a ICT-day for teachers, so it would be nice if i could use it and change it a little bit (adding pictures... ). Of course I give the prezi away under Creative Commons licence grinning smiley
September 05, 2011 03:05PM
Oops, I was able to open it in Inkscape thus I uploaded it (even if Firefox didn't displayed it without a missing plugin).
Indeed the svg export from illustrator is not so straightforward, not used to these options... (I tried different things).
Thanks for the pdf, I forgot it also work for vector.

Nice if you plan to use it for a prezi ^^
I'll add the .ai file (CS4 version, or did you need an older compatibility ?)
September 05, 2011 04:25PM
I use CS5 so CS4 would be perfect, this project let me think back to http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/uploads/11.08/gldt1108.svg this project (A huge family tree of Linux distro's xD )
September 15, 2011 04:43PM
I saw a similar graphic of the linux distro's that was part of my inspiration, but this one is way more huge ôo
(just wait some years and we will have perhaps as many reprap ^^)
October 03, 2011 01:33PM
Hi Emmanuel,

Not to nitpick, but the Open Hybrid Mendel should probably be somewhere closer to the location of the 'mixtape mendel', as it is a fusion of both standard Sells and Prusa Mendels, amongst other designs. As it is listed it masks the relation to the Prusa.

Thanks, and great work with this!
October 03, 2011 02:22PM
Mind adding the Fablicator to the list? It's an almost on sale commercial printer.
October 04, 2011 04:34AM
@EtherDais no problem smiling smiley

@Andrew Diehl, I didn't knew this one, but will add it too. It's look interesting btw in the alu-slot kind of bot.
November 01, 2011 01:42PM
Just updated the RFT to revision 3.2 smiling smiley
December 29, 2011 08:12AM
I'd like to submit my design. More printed parts, less hardware, killer prints.
[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login