Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Custom bed flexplate system

Posted by fma 
fma
Custom bed flexplate system
March 29, 2018 04:22AM
Hi!

I'm about to make a heatbed with magnetic base and flexplates, using spring steel sheet (C75 or so). I made some tests with a standard steel sheet, and 0.5mm seems to be too much.What thickness do you suggest to use for the spring steel sheet: 0.3mm or 0.4mm?

Does anyone know what is the BuildTak FlexPlate thickness?

Thanks,

Frédéric
Re: Custom bed flexplate system
March 29, 2018 06:05AM
Flexplate? €50 for a magnetic foil and a sheet of PEI? I did that myself early last year, the cost are less than 10€ if you find a good source for the PEI/Ultem sheet.
I use several variations of this. The base is always a 0.4mm magnetic foil on the heatbed (€2.1 / A4 Sheet). On top of that i choose between a magnetic stainless steel plate for everything that needs an adhesive/spray, or a 0.4 ferromagnetic foil attached to an 0.1mm Ultem sheet, or a magnetic foil on a 1mm PEI plate (for large ABS prints that exert serious forces on the print plate), or any kind of fibre plate attached to a ferro- or magnetic foil for stuff like Nylon.
I love how easy it is to peel of prints and how fast you can clean off printed stuff. The magnetic foil is also a very nice heatspreader, the thermal camera shows that with it on the heat bed the heat distribution is a lot more even than without.
Edit: The steel sheet i use is 1mm thick, thinner ones will very likely work just as well or better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2018 06:07AM by Srek.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
fma
March 29, 2018 06:28AM
Thanks for the feedback.

I plan to drill and put some magnets directly in 5mm aluminium sheet (bed), to get a very good heat transfert between bed and plates (I'm waiting for a few magnets to make tests, and determine how much magnets I should use).

May I ask you where you get some magnetic stainless steel? What thickness do you use?

Thanks,

Frédéric
March 29, 2018 07:45AM
I would really recommend using magnetic foil instead of single magnets. The whole plate is evenly pulled towards the heatbed, leading to better and more even heat transfer and no warping due to any kind of local forces. While it seems that the single magnets are stronger the difference is actually very small due to the much bigger surface of the foil.
The steel plates were acquired by one of the members of Hack FFM, i can't remember where he got them. They are 1mm thick.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
fma
March 29, 2018 08:00AM
Ok, I will try a magnetic foil too. Thanks.

Frédéric
April 02, 2018 10:37PM
@Srek could you please link to what you mean by magnetic foil?

Co-creator of the Zesty Nimble, worlds lightest direct drive extruder.
[zesty.tech]
April 02, 2018 10:47PM
briangilbert
@Srek could you please link to what you mean by magnetic foil?

[www.mcmaster.com]

Only good up to 120ºC, so that leaves out printing PEEK, etc sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 10:48PM by klcjr89.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login