Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NEW Genuine J-Heads are coming!

Posted by Valduare 
NEW Genuine J-Heads are coming!
April 01, 2018 08:01PM
Hello all! after too long of a wait. new Genuine J-Head hotends are enroute!

you may have noticed some changes over at https://www.hotends.com

Reifsnyderb and I have split things up. He is still manufacturing the hotends but you can expect new things coming much more frequently now.

so enjoy. Im glad to have met some of you at MRRF 2018.

Also if there are any special features you've been wanting to see with J-Heads feel free to comment here.

Thanks!
Re: NEW Genuine J-Heads are coming!
April 01, 2018 09:07PM
Good to hear. They really are great hot ends. I have a couple that are a few years old and have never had problem one with either
April 11, 2018 06:29PM
in the Mk V-BV listing there is a 12 or 24 volt heater cartridge option. Further down in the body of the description
it mentions that a 5.6 ohm or 6.8 ohm power resistor is included in the kit .The assembly instructions also include the
resistor installation.I know the resistors work great and last for a good amount of time but the cartridges pretty much make them obsolete.
or is there a price reduction for opting only for the resistor and no cartridge?

Ray
May 12, 2018 11:52AM
Hello,

We will update the listing. All J-Heads now come with heater cartridges.

If somebody would like to use a heater resistor, we still have them and can provide them upon request.
The main advantage of a heater resistor is that it's use takes up less space and saves just a little bit more weight than using a heater cartridge. A heater resistor is harder to wire and install, of course.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 11:55AM by reifsnyderb.
May 12, 2018 11:53AM
Hello,

People requested bullet points as to why Genuine J-Heads are the best hot-ends. Here goes!

1. Fast. Speeds over 200 mm/sec have been printed with a 0.4mm nozzle.
2. Light Weight. Total weight is under 30 grams and some models are under 20 grams.
3. Prints most filaments. Most filaments can be printed with a Genuine J-Head.
4. Prints at lower temperatures. Genuine J-Heads are more efficient and print at temperatures about 10 degrees under what "all metal" hot-ends print at.
5. Can print PLA without a cooling fan. While not recommended, Genuine J-Heads have printed PLA without a cooling fan.
6. Can print most other filament types without a cooling fan. A cooling fan is only recommended for PLA.
7. Reliable. Genuine J-Heads have printed for years without a problem.
8. Compact. Genuine J-Heads are compact and result in more Z space for printing.
9. Guaranteed. If your Genuine J-Head is faulty (and less than 1% have any problems) it will be replaced for free.

Many people will point to filament manufacturer recommendations for ABS and say they can't print ABS with a J-Head. These recommendations are for all-metal hot-ends. J-Heads were originally designed to print ABS. Printing PLA came later. J-Heads print ABS at temperatures of 240 to 245 degrees without fail.

We are working on 2 other J-Head designs at the moment. The one J-Head design is a high-speed design that prints faster than the E3D Volcano. It has been clocked printing ABS and PLA at 60 mm/sec with a 1mm nozzle orifice. This hot-end is almost ready for release. In addition, we are working on a high temperature J-Head that is similar to the previously mentioned high-speed design and will print any filament on the market. Due to it's design, we expect it to print faster than an E3D Volcano as well.

Best Regards,

Brian
May 21, 2018 07:04PM
Awesome! I have built a number of printers over the years with genuine J-Head hot-ends and never had a problem. My current machine uses one from several years ago (2013 I think), and I print both PLA and ABS with it all the time. Totally worth the price over the cheap clones. The only time I don't use them is when I need a hot-end that is capable of higher temperatures (>250°C). I haven't been in the market for a new hot-end for a while (I still have a couple unused J-Heads sitting in my spare parts), so it's good to see you're still keeping up the good work, Brian!

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
May 21, 2018 08:47PM
reifsnyderb
It has been clocked printing ABS and PLA at 60 mm/sec with a 1mm nozzle orifice.
Not trying to undermine anything, but I run my printer with a chinese volcano clone and 1.2 mm nozzle and have my printer set to print ABS at 80-100 mm/sec. I've only had failures so far but that's because my house is around 10 degrees ambient and the prints warp and detach halfway through the print like there's no tomorrow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login