Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flexible Bed for any 3d printer

Posted by andornot 
Flexible Bed for any 3d printer
April 04, 2018 04:09PM
I am soon launching a flexible bed consisting of a flexible magnetic sheet to adhere to your existing bed, capable of 120+ degrees centigrade before its properties grade, this sheet can be cut to size using a pair of scissors. The removable half is a custom cut to suit your bed size metallic sheet where you would stick your build plate such as an AndOrNot build plate or PEI sheet etc.

People interested please reply to this post with the bed sizes, estimated purchase price to be £55 + Vat for a 300mm x 300mm system.

www.andornot.co.uk, selling new products, including smoothie boards and other useful parts for 3D Printers:

AndOrNot buildplate launched, available in 6 inch, 8 inch, 12 inch and 17 inch square introductory discount code "20reprap"
And Or Not Build Plates
Re: Flexible Bed for any 3d printer
April 05, 2018 09:15AM
230x300mm

Definitely interested
April 05, 2018 10:57PM
Interested pending more detail..
2 * 300x300

Co-creator of the Zesty Nimble, worlds lightest direct drive extruder.
[zesty.tech]
April 06, 2018 05:00AM
I have interest for the standard 220,220 bed.
to be honest the price tag little worrying, for he cheap ass in me. how much would a second top section ?
April 06, 2018 09:05AM
My SmartRap Mini 2 reincarnation is defaulted to a 160mmx200mm size.
Tho 220mmx220mm is not unreasonable.

BUT I really need a super affordable solution for the design.
April 07, 2018 03:56AM
"available in 6 inch, 8 inch, 12 inch and 17 inch square introductory discount code "20reprap""

Hasn't noticed that most of reprap is metric! ...
April 08, 2018 04:02AM
Magnetic?

Given that most beds have some form of heat spreader which needs to be a good conductor of heat, these tend to be aluminium and not ferrous metal. So how is a flexible magnet going to adhere then?

Just checked, and no this wasn't posted on 1st April.

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
[www.youtube.com]
April 08, 2018 06:58AM
deckingham
Given that most beds have some form of heat spreader which needs to be a good conductor of heat, these tend to be aluminium and not ferrous metal. So how is a flexible magnet going to adhere then?
what I envisage, is the kit comes with two magnetic sheet with a 3M sticky backing one for the bed and the second with PEI sheet attached
April 08, 2018 09:44AM
I'm interested too, for a delta printer, so a 260mm diameter circle, and may be a 200x200 for my next project
April 09, 2018 06:04PM
A few people are interested thanks for the replies. The bed system is being tested and soon as its available, i will post again, it should in a week or so.
April 11, 2018 03:36PM
I am looking for a beta tester of this product anybody interested?

www.andornot.co.uk, selling new products, including smoothie boards and other useful parts for 3D Printers:

AndOrNot buildplate launched, available in 6 inch, 8 inch, 12 inch and 17 inch square introductory discount code "20reprap"
And Or Not Build Plates
April 11, 2018 04:05PM
andornot
I am looking for a beta tester of this product anybody interested?

I be interested in testing
April 15, 2018 04:34AM
Me too, I have a largish 300mm diameter delta...
April 17, 2018 02:07PM
I can test one. My plate is 160x200mm

I do not have a heated bed, so PLA usage only.

I have a website here, [sites.google.com], for the SmartRap Mini 2 revival.
Which I can post pics to.

I need to learn to make videos since all the cool kids want to watch vids and not read manuals. hehe.
April 18, 2018 05:05PM
deckingman
Magnetic?

I have a magnetic setup in use for a year or so now. You can use 3M foil to stick basically antything to a ferro or megetic foil, i use an Ultem sheet. The magnetic foil is actually improving the heat spreading, it is more even with than without.
You can either use magnetic / magnetic, magnetic / ferrofoil or magnetic / steel sheet. I use the steel sheet as a base for any material that needs glue to stick.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
April 20, 2018 03:22AM
Srek
deckingman
Magnetic?

I have a magnetic setup in use for a year or so now. You can use 3M foil to stick basically antything to a ferro or megetic foil, i use an Ultem sheet. The magnetic foil is actually improving the heat spreading, it is more even with than without.
You can either use magnetic / magnetic, magnetic / ferrofoil or magnetic / steel sheet. I use the steel sheet as a base for any material that needs glue to stick.

The 3m foil is this magnetic part. What temperatures can magnets take? Do you have a picture of your setup?

Andrew
April 20, 2018 03:59AM
I am interested in this, I live in the UK so yes to beta testing. Bed size 220 x 300

Thanks
Simon
April 20, 2018 04:26AM
Thank you all the reponses for beta testers, i have chosen the beta testers and pm them.
April 20, 2018 05:34AM
andornot
Srek
deckingman
Magnetic?

The 3m foil is this magnetic part. What temperatures can magnets take? Do you have a picture of your setup?

Andrew
You can find an image here [forums.reprap.org]
The foil stands up to more than 110° without losing magnetism.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
April 20, 2018 07:18AM
Srek
andornot
Srek
deckingman
Magnetic?

Andrew
You can find an image here [forums.reprap.org]
The foil stands up to more than 110° without losing magnetism.

Ok its the same principle as my magnetic bed but mine is good for over 120 degrees, i am running tests currently to find the max temperature it can take before its loses magnetism
April 20, 2018 04:29PM
110°C is what i use, not the maximum temperature.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
April 22, 2018 02:33PM
For all of you interested in purchasing a flexible system, please send pictures of your machine bed as the flexible half needs tabs adding for easier removal with your bed sizes.

Cheers

Andrew

And Or Not Build Plates
April 23, 2018 02:01AM
I thought, the magnet foil could have a cut off at one or two corners, where we could push a knife or spatula between the foil and the workplate?
April 23, 2018 05:46AM
o_lampe
I thought, the magnet foil could have a cut off at one or two corners, where we could push a knife or spatula between the foil and the workplate?

you can do that if you want to, the magnet foil can easily be cut with scissors.

And Or Not Build Plates
April 24, 2018 02:52AM
here's my design for a plate,,,,

just hope those tabs are enough to get the plate off
April 24, 2018 12:18PM
I don't have any tabs or handles on my setup, a 1mm overlap of the steelsheet is enough to get it off.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
April 27, 2018 02:52AM
srek
I don't have any tabs or handles on my setup, a 1mm overlap of the steelsheet is enough to get it off.
wondering if there a difference in strength between your sheet and andornot.
April 27, 2018 01:20PM
No idea, mine sticks pretty strongly, but a little Screwdriver as a lever works wonders. You only need to overcome the initial force, the rest is easy.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
April 28, 2018 04:16AM
thanks srek.
plate #2 kept two tabs inside the bed perimeter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login