Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simple board comparison - interactive

Posted by Rossos 
Simple board comparison - interactive
April 13, 2018 08:51AM
Not sure under what forum category to place this, so I'll just put in General and maybe Admins can move it where appropriate.

I made a thingie: [3dpc.rosstekcy.com]

One page multiple 3D printer boards simple comparison.
Work in progress!
Currently planning on adding filters like "8bit or 32bit" and "Stepper Drivers Removable or Unremovable".
Some data still needs unification/formatting. And some data is still missing.
I will be expanding to other little things like Stepper Drivers and Monitors (maybe).

Hoping it can help someone in the long run.
Suggestions are welcome.

Proud owner and maker of build from scratch FDM 3D printer [forums.reprap.org]
Re: Simple board comparison - interactive
April 13, 2018 09:03AM
Looks useful! I suggest you add a Networking field. What's the best way to send you updated info?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 13, 2018 09:07AM
Oh right! Networking! Thanks.

Replying to this thread should be fine.
And there's a Contact Form on the site too.

April 14, 2018 02:42AM
Just listing the features of a board is not enough.
Maybe add a "known issues" section, like the underrated 5V regulator on RAMPS and many other boards, which blindly copied this circuit.
"Available addons" would make sense, too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2018 02:43AM by o_lampe.
April 14, 2018 05:13AM
I agree that just features are not everything, but I believe it is a good overview.
"Known issues" is what I've made the "weaknesses" row. For example: Polyfuses are very commonly blamed, so I threw those in there.
What kind of "Available addons" do you have in mind? I've listed couple of things in there, like SD card support, SD card on board, LCD compatibility. Also the "Extras" row, where I/O are primarily listed.
I should probably add BLtouch and Inductive sensor. Hmm... are servos still a thing people consider?

Thank you for your input.

April 14, 2018 11:38AM
Supported addons, like thermocouples or PT100, extensionboards for external (pololu-) drivers.
April 15, 2018 05:41PM
Looks incredibly useful! Nice work! thumbs up

A few small suggestions:
* For the Smoothieboard, you might specify that it's the "Smoothieboard V1" in case they ever do finally manage to release V2. grinning smiley Also, there are the 0x/3x/4x/5x variants of V1 with different numbers of stepper drivers.
* For the "stepper drivers type", some of the boards have that field populated with an interface ("Polulu"(Pololu), Bigfoot), while others have a specific driver (A4988, TMC2660). It would probably be best to split that data into two fields... one for the removable stepper driver interface(s), the other for the integrated stepper type. (Also, note that "Pololu" is misspelled as "Polulu" in your table, and might better be specified as "Pololu Compatible", since Pololu manufactures a number if different stepper driver boards. smiling smiley
* Very minor - The yellow question marks are quite low contrast against the white background. smiling smiley
* As a new field, it would be great to specify which firmware(s) the board supports. For those where the situation is... contentious... such as Smoothieware on the MKS S-BASE, It would probably be appreciated to put something to the effect of "Smoothieware (Unsupported!)" in that field. hot smiley

This is definitely a page I will bookmark for later reference. thumbs up
April 19, 2018 02:09PM
Good time of the day gents (and possibly ladies? who knows...)

Just wanted to let you know that I have made an update to the website.
I'll try and match an "Update Log" style:

- Filled in a lot of data previously missing
- Almost all boards now have a price reference (when is the Revolve due?)
- Almost all boards now have Firmware listings
- Divided the comparison table into groups for easy readability
- Added more features (suggestions helped!) to the comparison table

The unification and data presentation form is still an ongoing process.
Some features I try to learn, understand and present despite the fact that I did not have the chance to experience/experiment with them yet.
So please do bear with me. Or even better: correct me!

Regarding the Stepper Drivers presentation:
I have merged some rows for the sake of simplification. I think it may be easier to understand now. If the Stepper Driver is soldered on-board I just state which one it is. If the board accepts removable stepper drivers I generalize by just stating "Pololu Compatible" and alike. Still separate rows though. Tell me if this form of presentation is more comprehensible.

Regarding the Firmware:
It is now listed (hopefully) for each board. I was playing with the suggested idea of specifying which firmwares are not aware of the board's existence but the boards' seller/manufacturer points to use the firmware anyway, for example Makerbase (MKS) usually just suggest using Marlin Ramps1.4_EFB for their Atmega2560 boards, and MKS Sbase just vaguely states to use Smoothie(ware). So I am experimenting with the presentation. There are two rows: "Compatible Firmware" and "Compatible Firmware Unsupported". For obvious reasons "incompatible firmware" was excluded. Tell me what you think about such presentation.

Regarding LCD screens:
I still have each LCD screen its' own dedicated row with Ticks and Crosses. But I am now leaning towards the idea of using the Firmware presentation style. Single box with a list of items. Again, do share your thoughts about it.

Melty
The yellow question marks are quite low contrast against the white background.
That's the intention. Mystifying the unknown!

Now that the comparison table is becoming rather big I was thinking about hiding some boards. Briefly looking into the undeniable similarities I have the feeling that the RUMBA board was superseded by GT2560 and MKS Gen v1.4 was superseded by MKS Gen-L v1.0. But those are just my speculations at this point in time.
Hiding "legacy" hardware is also an option. But just the other day I have read people still operate and replace Melzi boards (I don't even have it in my table!).

Things I've learned this week:
  • MKS Gen v1.4 and MKS Gen-L v1.0 are two different boards.
  • Who the current RepRapFirmware's github repository belongs to (and also that the reprap Wiki's link to it is wrong).
  • Makerbase has a board called MKS Robin on their website. Sadly I can't find any specs on it other that it uses STM32 32bit microchip and apparently accepts standard size SD card. Did they rename the MKS SBase?
  • Also thin ribbon display called MKS Robin TFT_v1.0? Is Makerbase (MKS) on renaming spree?

Have a great weekend!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2018 08:31AM by Rossos.

April 20, 2018 10:10AM
A Duet WiFi for around 90€ ?????

Didn't get a headache reading the description on Ali. Good omen ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2018 10:14AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
April 20, 2018 11:47AM
Don't really know how to respond to be honest.

April 20, 2018 02:03PM
Just wondering if they played it fair or just stole everything, description included as it is not the usual chinglish.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
April 20, 2018 02:36PM
You can have a quick glance at https://www.duet3d.com/DuetWifi
As far as the 'clone' description goes, they state their grounds clearly, in red letters nonetheless.

Didn't know replicating software and hardware filed under GLP and CERN OHL 1.2 is now considered stealing.

https://github.com/T3P3/Duet/blob/master/LICENSE clearly states that

Any reproductions or modifications of the DuetWifi hardware must contain the following attribution on the silkscreen or packaging:
"Based on the DuetWifi by Think3dPrint3d and Esher3d, see www.duet3d.com for the original DuetWifi information. This reproduction/modification is not endorsed or supported in any way by Think3dPrint3d or Escher3d".
b. Logos:
No reproduction or modification of the DuetWifi hardware may contain the Think3dPrint3d, Escher3d or Duet3d logos.

They are actually following the license agreement DuetWifi is released under. O.M.G.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login