Who are you people?
April 26, 2011 05:26AM
Hi guys,

I was wondering a bit about the backgrounds of people in the RepRap community.
How many of you are engineers of some kind?

Also, how important is the whole ideological open source idea behind RepRap for you?
Re: Who are you people?
April 26, 2011 05:48AM
Too bad this forum doesn't have POLLS.

I am, EE and VERY.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 26, 2011 06:03AM
I am working in the IT as software developer, with very little education in electronics

The open-source parts is very important to me

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
April 26, 2011 06:06AM
I am a biochemist, with no education in electronics and programing.

I wouldnt have been involved if it was not open sourced grinning smiley
April 26, 2011 08:51AM
Im in architecture... Working on getting my license. I plan on printing models of my designs. Primarily skyscraper and bridge design.
April 26, 2011 10:38AM
Mechanical Engineering. Open source is essential to reprap's existence.
April 26, 2011 12:37PM
I'm a machine vision and motion systems integrator, and software developer. I dabble quite a bit in embedded systems. A couple of on-going projects are to port Arduino IDE, ReplicatorG, Skeinforge and RepSnapper to the Sharp Zaurus PDAs.
April 26, 2011 02:10PM
I am an electrical engineer , working on a Masters in Technology Education and teaching in a private middle school.

RepRap will be revolutionary in education.

The open source aspect is the only thing that will bring this awesome technology out to the world and improve our childrens love towards Engineering, Mathematics, and Science. I am developing a curriculum based on it and will post updates on my blog once its up and running: www.omemon.wordpress.com

[omemon.wordpress.com]
April 26, 2011 02:23PM
I'm a senior mechatronics engineering student.

I joined the project specifically because it was open-source. Also, if it was not open-source, it would probably have been very difficult for me to become involved with, on the development side.
April 26, 2011 02:41PM
I am a senior in an aerospace engineering program. Going to be working in the private space flight area.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
April 26, 2011 04:28PM
I'm a Mechanical Engineer with a minor in BioEngineering. Work in IT at a university upkeeping computers and design/build
equipment for cellular research. Close to 30 years of programming experience in core languages and used most others,
15 years of microcontroller experience - mostly with MicroChip PIC but I've used a bunch of different ones. Close to 30 years
of cookbook electronics, I still consider circuit design to be my weakpoint, but learn something new with every blown component. :-)

I like the idea of Open Source and must say that this is the best open source project I've ever been involved with. The high level of
knowledge of this group, covering so many different areas, is just amazing.
April 26, 2011 05:10PM
Hackerspace Founder, Online investigator, Father, and Flaming A-Hole

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
April 26, 2011 07:23PM
CAD professional/enthusiast/evangelist, product designer and homebrew CNC/CAM systems builder. Open source proves that intelligence and ingenuity aren't proprietary or exclusive.
April 26, 2011 09:52PM
Probably one of the youngest on this forum... highschool student/ future computer science/ CE major

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 09:59PM by Hobbes20xx.
April 27, 2011 12:19AM
I am a physicist with hobby level expertise in electronics and microcontrollers. I bought a makerbot cupcake as my intro to the world of 3d printing. I would have bought it at the price if it had been closed source. I am now building a couple prusa mendel printers. I would not be building them if they were closed source, as much of the point for me is learning stepper control etc. So I guess I'm in both camps.
April 27, 2011 01:50AM
i'm an artist i went to artschool, my only experience pre reprap similar to it was making stop motion animation camera dollys.

but now i'm obsessed with reprap and it's future I see little kids using them in public schools to fix their school and later go on to be high school students designing and inventing out of this world things on repraps for their year 12 design projects, excited for my nephew who is four months old growing up seeing and having 3d printers in his lexicon from birth, as he grows up he will instinctively know that any object/s he can imagine can be prototyped in a few hours.. this generation will probably see whole new potentials for reprap...
April 27, 2011 02:11AM
I'm a computer programmer and started out as an electronics technician back in the 1980s.

The open source aspect of the Reprap project is critical, at least as far as my interest in the project is concerned.
April 27, 2011 02:25AM
Jet engine mechanic and supervisor. Open source is awesome!
April 27, 2011 12:36PM
I'm a software engineer who mostly works on server side Unix stuff. I had no electronics experience before Reprap, though I had some mechanical experience by working on bikes. I started my career as a Linux admin, so open source is important to me. Reprap wouldn't have caught my attention if it wasn't open source.
April 27, 2011 09:26PM
I'm a support tech (as in comp hardware/software) currently. Was a sys admin for about 10 years, and prior to that was an electronics tech for about 8 yrs, dealing mainly with communication-related hardware (serial, modems, pabxs, barcoding, etc). Also been involved with Linux and open source for many many years.

Currently considering if I want to go back to uni and do some engineering stuff (prob materials eng or related). Been going over course texts and interesting books to see if there is anything in there I don't know that I need to know (ie: foundation stuff that you're expected to know) and to get a bit of a jump-start.
April 28, 2011 03:36AM
I am a C / Java / Agile mentor and have been working with software / hardware systems for 35+ years. My original background at college was electronics and I have kept this up as a hobby ever since, designing PIC based controllers for a variety of tasks. Amongst my many jobs I was a Software Development Consultant for IBM Europe and taught C Java etc. I now live in the French Pyrenees and telecommute writing and designing software.

I have been interested in CNC / Reprap for a few years and recently found the time and money to build a Prusa Mendel.

A few years ago I wrote a novel, A Conspriacy to Kill which is available on Amazon.

I believe strongly in open source and contribute to a couple of open source projects.
April 28, 2011 09:58AM
Electronics Engineer for the last 20 years, designing all sorts of things.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
April 28, 2011 01:17PM
I'm an evil genius who intends to use Reprap to take over the world. (Incert evil laugh.)

I am also an electromechanical engineer. And open source is a pretty good system.

Now back to the plotting.
April 28, 2011 01:45PM
I am a mechanical engineering student at the university at buffalo, in New york. i have been following the project for a little over a year, and as of next semester, the university's robotics club will have a reprap. we are in the process of ordering parts
April 28, 2011 05:48PM
Industrial Designer, and open-source lover
(want to make a thesis about open-design, fablab and diy ^^)
April 29, 2011 04:48PM
Electronics Engineer with a keen interest in robotics.

Open source is a key reason I chose to build a RepRap and tinker, vs. buying a Cupcake.

Regards,

James

--
Blog: AdventuresIn3-DPrinting
May 03, 2011 06:49AM
i don't think i fall in the category of people above me
i'm a theater technician, skatepark designer and freestyle bmx'er (www.crankbmx.com)

i did get a C64 at age 6 and at age 12 build my first print to control a lego car with my commodore
i think that explains more what i'm doing building a reprap and why my BMX team members call me a nerd.
May 03, 2011 08:17PM
I'm a builder by trade had to stop after 26 years though due to ongoing shoulder problems, had an operation 6 years ago about to have another in 3 weeks. Got bored at home so teaching myself CAD and thought a ReRap would be a good addition so that I could print things I draw.

Open source made it affordable when you don't have an income

May 04, 2011 11:47AM
morrist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am a mechanical engineering student at the
> university at buffalo, in New york. i have been
> following the project for a little over a year,
> and as of next semester, the university's robotics
> club will have a reprap. we are in the process of
> ordering parts

I got my BSME from UB in '95. I was an SAE geek. I still think about mini-baja designs.

Even the Prusa has mechanical features I think need changing. As soon as I have my software under control, I intend to do something about it.
May 05, 2011 01:50PM
I'm a retired marine carpenter. I had played around with electonics back in the 80's with a Radio Shack color computer that I hacked quite a bit and made things for. Started RepRap as something to fill some of my free time with and to keep the old brain working.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login