Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to find 24V silent fans

Posted by Archiclem 
Where to find 24V silent fans
May 02, 2018 03:28PM
Hello everyone...
I was wondering how to find a 24V silent fan (Like the nice Noctua ones that every 12V printer owner has !)

The new Prusa i3 MK3 is 24V so I was thinking there is a way to get these marvellous fan...

Or if anyone knows a design to use a blower fan for cooling the hotend ? I use this design for cooling the part (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2683671) and those 3510 blowers are really silent, I have a spare one that i could use to cool the hotend but i was unable to an E3D mount... I might design one in my spare time...
Re: Where to find 24V silent fans
May 02, 2018 05:46PM
The Prusa i3 MK3 is does have a Noctua 40mm fan to cool the hotend, they must do some kind of step down to 12v.

Edit: Thats's why it works, they're running the 5 volt version of that fan from the on-board 5 volt voltage regulator.
https://noctua.at/en/nf-a4x10-5v

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2018 05:55PM by FA-MAS.
Re: Where to find 24V silent fans
May 02, 2018 06:59PM
Get a buck converter to drop the power supply voltage for whatever fan you like. If you compare the Noctua volume flow rates to same-size normal fans you'll see they are lower. Noctua has some fancy bearing technology, but I believe the reduced speed/flow is what gives the bulk of the noise reduction. You can operate 24V fans from much lower voltage and they will turn slower and much quieter. So, an adjustable buck converter and a 24V fan should get you a lot of the noise reduction you're after.

Many 24V fans will run on 12V, but may not start reliably, so you may need to give it 15V to ensure reliable start-up.

Here's a 6-pack of adjustable buck converters for $8. Once you have them, you'll find all sorts of uses for them, from running fans to powering LEDs, etc.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login