Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRep Book

Posted by geoffd 
RepRep Book
April 27, 2011 05:30AM
Hi All,

I am thinking of writing a book on the basics of building and using a RepRap machine. It would cover the mechanics, electronics, updating firmware, calibration etc.

There would also be some chapters on designing using tools like OpenScad and one or two 3d design tools, and chapters on the host software and using Skeinforge.

IE A beginners guide to RepRap.

I have found a publisher who is willing to commission the book (around 150 pages) if there is a large enough demand.

That brings me to the question: Is there enough demand?

As we don't have a polls could you just add a post with positive, or negative comments. e.g Yes you would buy it, or no you wouldn't.

Thanks
Geoff
Re: RepRep Book
April 27, 2011 07:16AM
I would buy it, but I'm a noob to all this.

I'm eagerly waiting on the "Printing in Plastic" book.

ISTAR Scope Club
April 27, 2011 07:44AM
So how would that be different from the wiki?

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
April 27, 2011 07:49AM
I would for sure! Would be great to have a hard copy! smiling smiley
April 27, 2011 07:50AM
brupje
So how would that be different from the wiki?
It would COST MONEY, the wiki is FREE. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 27, 2011 08:02AM
YES!
April 27, 2011 08:49AM
Hi Brupje

It would bring sections of the wiki, plus info from other places on the web into one place. It would be available as an eBook and as a hardcopy. You would have to pay for either/both, but the publisher is aware that RepRap is an open source project so price is an issue.

Cheers
Geoff
April 27, 2011 08:51AM
Hi BoriSpider

It is aimed at Noob's smiling smiley
April 27, 2011 08:53AM
I think the only downfall of a book would be that It would not include any changes which occur everyday on the Reprap project.

For example I joined building reprap in February and in April Prof. Adrian Bowyer introduced the new mini extruder, so Its CONSTANTLY changing which makes the book just a basis to start off with.

If you want to benefit the community dont make a book, make a website which compiles all the essential material to start with. Or a free PDF so the open source can grow more rather than the goal being to make a profit. I'm sure people would donate to you if you have a donate button though.

Thanks . Just my $0.02

[omemon.wordpress.com]
April 27, 2011 09:12AM
BTW, OhmEye's Introduction and Orientation for 3D Printing with the Reprap Prusa Mendel on YouTube is very good introduction to RepRap/3d printing for NOOBs.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 27, 2011 09:16AM
I agree with owism8. I'm all for making reprap accessible for newcomers, and if a book would help some people then great, but the project is moving pretty fast (which is a good thing), and I think something static, like a printed book, would be outdated very quickly.

If you're doing it for personal gain, or simply because you feel like doing it, then go for it and good luck! If you want to contribute to the community then in my opinion your time and effort would be better invested building a website, collating information into a PDF (as owism8 said), or better yet, actively updating and improving the wiki.

Personally, I would only pay money for a book on the subject if it gave me something I couldn't find online myself - and at the moment I can't think of anything that meets that requirement.
April 27, 2011 12:43PM
If you want to benefit the community dont make a book, make a website which compiles all the essential material to start with.

If you want to benefit the community, improve the wiki so that people coming to the project can find the information they'd like? grinning smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
April 27, 2011 01:46PM
Sebastien,

Is a there a single place where we can have an Index to all concerns when starting the project.

Or are we sticking with the organization where we select which reprap we want to build

If we stick with that organization, we should have Pros and Cons under each option here: [reprap.org]. Also with pricing options included and a link to the buyers guide for each:
[reprap.org] (is the mendel and prusa buyers guide the same?)

there are no nice setups for where to buy a huxley, but I know there is one place being techzone com.

The only thing about this whole wiki setup is that every page has its own organization, which makes it really hard to find what you want to compare the three models to see which one is best for who. Maybe that can be done?

The above would help a lot for newbees in deciding what to start with and How.

[omemon.wordpress.com]
April 28, 2011 03:22AM
Hi Everyone

Thanks for your comments and feedback.

I don't think there is sufficient interest for the publisher, but I would still like to go ahead anyway.

My current idea is to create an eBook which would be supported by donations, and a hardcopy available on a site such as Lulu.com.

It would be published under the Creative Commons License.

The next problem is finding time to write it without the financial support from the publisher!

Cheers
Geoff
April 28, 2011 08:58AM
April 29, 2011 10:57AM
Maybe a smartphone app like this from TED.com would be a
good choice for a RepRap book. That way it would be updateable and include many different ways for it to interact with the reader.

ISTAR Scope Club
April 29, 2011 01:46PM
April 30, 2011 07:03AM
BoriSpider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe a smartphone app like this from TED.com
> would be a
> good choice for a RepRap book. That way it would
> be updateable and include many different ways for
> it to interact with the reader.

It certainly looks very impressive. THey haven't released their tool for writing them yet, but I will bear it in mind. Of course it would limit the book to people who have Apple phones, iPads etc.

Cheers
Geoff
April 30, 2011 03:53PM
This is true, Geoffd.
But it does look cool.

ISTAR Scope Club
April 30, 2011 05:26PM
Sebastian has a good point. Instead of a book, it's better to improve and keep updating the wiki to make it easier to find information.
April 30, 2011 11:48PM
What would be realy helpfull if someone could tell me how to make the Reprap software work in windows XP, Now I have to use repsnapper with my Techzone Laser Mendel Kit,send my *.stl files to 3dtoolchain.com, they turn my part sideways or upside down and send me back g-code that will not work.
Very Fusterating
May 01, 2011 12:51AM
you should be able to do the turning at home on free software like blender, art of illusion or openscad to name a few. most people myself included use repsnapper + skeinforge over the reprap software anyway, you get nicer prints this way.
May 01, 2011 01:59AM
Sebastian has a good point. Instead of a book, it's better to improve and keep updating the wiki to make it easier to find information.

Yes, it's our responsibility to make a book completely unnecessary.

Sebastien,

Is a there a single place where we can have an Index to all concerns when starting the project.
http://reprap.org/wiki/General_FAQ
Which you can merge into
http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapWiki:Help
if you like. grinning smiley

Or are we sticking with the organization where we select which reprap we want to build
Want to do up something better in a sandbox in the wiki?

If we stick with that organization, we should have Pros and Cons under each option here: [reprap.org]. Also with pricing options included and a link to the buyers guide for each:
Sounds good!

[reprap.org] (is the mendel and prusa buyers guide the same?)
I think it is ...

there are no nice setups for where to buy a huxley, but I know there is one place being techzone com.
Hmmm .... let me know if you have any trouble doing up a huxley buyers guide!

The only thing about this whole wiki setup is that every page has its own organization, which makes it really hard to find what you want to compare the three models to see which one is best for who. Maybe that can be done?
Yes, please do!

The above would help a lot for newbees in deciding what to start with and How.
I agree completely!

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
May 26, 2011 12:06AM
Well it is May 26th. On this date the book Printing in Plastic: Build your Own 3d printer by Patrick Hood Daniel and James Floyd Kelly is supposed to be available. Has anyone seen it, bought it,? What are your thoughts?
May 26, 2011 04:07PM
As of right now it is still a pre-order book.

ISTAR Scope Club
June 03, 2011 06:31PM
The "Printing in Plastic" book is still on pre-order,
but they just released a video/demo of it in action.
Still no video of it milling sad smiley

ISTAR Scope Club
June 14, 2011 01:01AM
I talked to Barnes and Noble. They said Printing in Plastic was published on June 3rd 2011. Any one find it yet?
June 14, 2011 01:17AM
Seems to be available online and at amazon:
[www.apress.com]
[www.amazon.de]

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
June 14, 2011 02:59PM
I just had an Idea of making a Magazine. Every Issue would describe some part of a reprap and would include some part you need.

Issue one could include an extruder, printed and nonprinted parts with an intro and general concept of reprap.
Issue two could include the other plastic parts with writing about the mechanics instructions on how to build & a short interview.
3 an ardurino with a short programming lesson.
4 ramps with gcode & python
5 the steppers and so on

The order of the issues could be changed but as a general concept.
Distribution could be done decentralized with reprap forum users & the magazine printed in B&W on copy shops. (Most offer a cheap format this way)
A professional Printed cover or whole magazine could also be done but would be difficult to distribute..
June 14, 2011 06:08PM
I doubt anyone would subscribe to a physical print of this information when there is a MASSIVE amount of digital info out there.

If there is any potential of a magazine, it should be done as an "E-zine" with free subscription supported by relevant ads. The written material should definitely include the experience of core reprappers like nophead and adrian and others who should have a column in every issue.

Maybe also if instead of a magazine effort, there should be an effort to organize the blog material more out there, as Sabastien would say: THATS WHAT THE WIKI IS FOR!!!!

Definitely help the wiki first if your going to put that effort into a magazine. Unless you are trying to make monies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login