Filament suggestion for a beginner?
May 06, 2018 10:46PM
Bought a used Anet A8 a couple of weeks ago, just about got it ready to print, but need to get filament. Completely new to 3D printing here, but I have read enough to know that I probably want to stick to PLA for now and need 1.75mm filament. Would like to buy a 1 kg spool of black filament through Amazon, but there are too many choices. Even narrowing it down to 4 star or better rating there are over a hundred results.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand that's available on Amazon, and good yet forgiving for someone just starting out? See prices ranging from about $15 to about $25. Knowing that I'll probably be throwing most of the first spool away due to calibrating and mistakes, I'd like to stay on the lower end of that range, but don't mind paying more for quality and/or easier to use.

Once I figure out what I'm doing, some of the first functional things I plan to print is more/better upgrade parts for the printer. I'd like a different x-carriage setup and possibly some frame bracing. Is PLA adequate for printing printer parts like or do I need something different and what? Should I just skip the PLA and start out with that?
Re: Filament suggestion for a beginner?
May 07, 2018 02:42AM
In all the years i print i only ever got two unusable spools of material. PLA usually is very forgiving, just pick one and be done.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
May 07, 2018 02:42AM
PLa is a good choice in general, also for structural parts. But I wouldn't start with black filament. I had bad experience with black filament from different vendors and different plastics. It seems, they add char coal ore something nasty to dye it black.
Take a brighter color, that also makes it easier to analyze the print result. ( taking pictures a.s.o. )
May 07, 2018 05:07AM
That's kinda what I figured. Might be an issue with the newer or specialized and hybrid filaments, but basic PLA and ABS have been in use long enough for the bugs to have been worked out. I'll start out with a cheap one that's got good reviews to learn with and go from there.

o_lampe
PLa is a good choice in general, also for structural parts. But I wouldn't start with black filament. I had bad experience with black filament from different vendors and different plastics. It seems, they add char coal ore something nasty to dye it black.

I'm willing take the chance with black. Printer is located in a well ventilated area at the opposite end of the house from where I sleep, so odors won't be an issue. That said I won't be sleeping with it running anyway until I'm sure the wiring won't let out any magic smoke.

o_lampe
Take a brighter color, that also makes it easier to analyze the print result. ( taking pictures a.s.o. )

"a.s.o." ??? and share online? If that's the case, it's a moot point. I'm not printing to take pictures and share. Heck, I'm not even sure where my camera is right now, haven't used it in years. I'll be printing stuff to use and will be the primary person seeing whatever I print, for the most part I don't particularly like bright colors that are going to stand out. As is my x-carriage and y-axis belt adjuster are a bright green and I hate it, but they make the machine functional until I can print something else. There might be an occasion to use some bright colors in the future, but black is the base color for most things I have in mind to make right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2018 05:44AM by Turk1604.
May 07, 2018 05:11PM
If memory serves soot/charcoal dust is a common black dye/colorant for a lot of things, so nothing out of the ordinary there.
May 07, 2018 06:34PM
pla

i been using this and found it good bit dear but there ya go
May 07, 2018 08:29PM
3D Solutech. Made in the USA

Pick whatever color is at $17.99 or whatever. Color supply goes in and out, and the price will vary.

The real orange is a bright color. The real white is a great bright white color.
May 08, 2018 01:41AM
Thereaper
pla

i been using this and found it good bit dear but there ya go

Thanks for the recommendation, but "this item does not ship to the United States."

orbitalair
3D Solutech. Made in the USA

Pick whatever color is at $17.99 or whatever. Color supply goes in and out, and the price will vary.

The real orange is a bright color. The real white is a great bright white color.

That's what I ended up buying. It had a high rating with a lot of reviews and good price.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login