Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer stopped printing

Posted by rangerrod 
Printer stopped printing
May 07, 2018 05:09PM
For some unknown reason my prusa i3 clone will not print, either from an SD card or via usb cable. I have tried using both repetier and cura with no avail. The printer was printing fine up till yesterday. I obtained a copy of the original firmware and tried to reload it but would always receive an error code stating that the upload is denied. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, I had a spare motherboard that I swapped out but that did not help either.
Re: Printer stopped printing
May 07, 2018 08:36PM
Reread your message from my seat.
We need more details and not a wall of text either.

What works? LCD comes on? Does it try to heat?
Error codes?
Autohome work?

12/24v out of powersupply?? Plugged in? Circuit breaker tripped?
Broken wire?
May 08, 2018 12:07AM
Yes the printer powers up and the lcd is on and I can preheat the bed and the extruder via the lcd screen. I get no error codes and like previously stated, even if I upload a file via an sd card nothing happens. The lcd screen shows the sd card inserted, shows the files on the card and when you select the file the screen goes back to the main screen like it should. But, that s where it stops. The bed and pla does not heat up. If you scroll down, the lcd screen gives you the option to pause or stop the print just as if the printer was printing even though it isn't.
May 08, 2018 01:24AM
Interesting, didn't know firmware would wear out and when out of instructions, you had to reload/recharge the firmware reservoir ?

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
May 08, 2018 06:17AM
Have not been able to update the firmware. When I try I get a timed out message.
May 08, 2018 08:06AM
Your board could be fried. RAMPS+mega by any chance? also, do the axis move when commanded by the host/LCD?
May 08, 2018 02:09PM
Not sure about the ramps mega, but I do know that using the LCD screen I can manually move all three axis. Using repetier, I cannot. It is as if that function is locked out.
May 08, 2018 08:50PM
You're not sure what your board is?
May 08, 2018 09:16PM
No. The only thing that is printed on the board is 2560 rev A. Attached is a pic of the board.
Attachments:
open | download - $_12.jpg (57.2 KB)
May 09, 2018 02:34AM
Can you show us the first few lines of the gcode you wanted to print? Maybe you changed something in the slicer settings, which takes forever to start up. (like bed heating to 235°C instead of extruder eye rolling smiley )
May 09, 2018 03:15AM
o_lampe
Can you show us the first few lines of the gcode you wanted to print? Maybe you changed something in the slicer settings, which takes forever to start up. (like bed heating to 235°C instead of extruder eye rolling smiley )

That doesn't explain the timeout when trying to recharge the firmware reservoir with a load of fresh instructions ! smiling smiley

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
May 09, 2018 04:14PM
If the bed and the hotend "do not heat up" theres your clue.

Wiring ok to bed? Is the bed physically hot or cold when you touch it?
If its HOT, but reports room temp, your temp sensor is bad, OR the wiring is broken somewhere.
If its COLD, then the 12v side of life on your board is not working. Maybe the fuses are blown?

IIRC thats a Geeetech board. I think it has replaceable fuses.

You need a meter to test that all out.

Its not printing because it thinks the hotend is cold.

Since both are not heating, I suspect the 12v out side is not got any power, i.e. the fuse.

The safety interlocks are also probably disabled, thus no message.
May 10, 2018 01:17AM

Yes the printer powers up and the lcd is on and I can preheat the bed and the extruder via the lcd screen.

orbitalair
If the bed and the hotend "do not heat up" theres your clue.
Where did you read that?
May 10, 2018 01:20AM
MKSA
o_lampe

That doesn't explain the timeout when trying to recharge the firmware reservoir with a load of fresh instructions ! smiling smiley

Failed firmware update can have another cause. Maybe his controller uses a fake FTDI USB chip? Or his PC has issues with USB?
May 10, 2018 09:56AM
Update. I switched out motherboards and can now print.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login