One Profile to Print them All?!?
April 27, 2011 11:48PM
Hello All,
I've started getting deep into Skeinforge 40 I am wondering, is there supposed to be a one perfect settings profile that I am supposed to use for all the Prusa Mendel parts?

By which I mean if I were to do a single plate print of all the parts, they would all have to be sliced using the same settings. Versus individually slicing each part with setting optimized just for that part.

For example, using extra shells on the infill works well on clamps and small bits because 20% infill is still to far of a gap to do anything and chews print time. On the other hand I don't want to use extra shells on larger parts because infill would be faster.

I would love to hear what you folk have come up with to print that perfect plate of reprappiness!

-John, San Diego, CA

www.youtube.com/user/GeoDroidJohn

MrJohnEcker on Twitter, Gmail
Re: One Profile to Print them All?!?
April 28, 2011 01:54AM
I printed all my Prusa parts with 17% rectangular infill and one extra shell. The only exception was the pulleys that I printed at 30% infill, still with one extra shell. They all turned out quite nice. I didn't print them all at once though, the build platform on my RepStrap is somewhat small.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
April 28, 2011 04:18AM
I don't mix different types of parts on the same build tray because the "infill in direction of bridges" option in Skeinforge affects a whole layer at a time. So if one part has a bridge all the other parts get infill in the direction of that bridge. If they happen to have a bridge in another direction on that layer it fails.

So I do batches of parts all the same or similar (paying attention to orientation) and use different layer heights and fill densities to suit the parts. I don't use extra shells on anything.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 29, 2011 08:45AM
Nophead, have you done any work with separate gcode files positioning them in different places on the bed? for example 100% fill pulleys, next to 40% fill vertex, different gcode files, offset x/y to each other?

If you have tried it let me know the pro's and con's to it. so far the only issue i see is that i need to simulate the build to make sure the tool never crashes into an object or the platform.
thx.
April 29, 2011 09:57AM
No I haven't tried that yet but it is on my todo list. I would merge the g-code and sort the layers into ascending order so there would be no problem with collisions.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login