Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

overvoltage/spikes for secondary power source

Posted by Bill Clark 
overvoltage/spikes for secondary power source
May 21, 2018 09:26PM
I recently upgraded one of my 12v printers with TMC2100 drivers for the X and Y. These drivers like at least 36v in my combination and I may want to set them as high as 42v (driver max V = 45v). Currently I am powering just the drivers with a Drok 0-48v adjustable power supply set at 36v with a single 63v, 100uf capacitor.. Instead of the Drok I would like to add something like this and power it from the onboard, 12v power supply. The bed for the printer is now 110v so there is plenty of reserve from this power source. My concern is the stability of the step up unit so it looks like a TVS diode would offer some insurance but I am lost when it comes to the ratings of these components, i.e. unidirectional / bidirectional, breakdown V, clamping V, etc.. What am I looking for, rating wise, and should I still run a capacitor with it?
Re: overvoltage/spikes for secondary power source
May 22, 2018 02:51AM
I'm using similar DCDC boost converters on several projects. One is for a 24V/100W silicon bed heater. I raised Vout to 28V and it heats significantly faster now.

Be aware that the power rating is
Pmax = Ain(max) x Vout.
The higher you pump up Vout, the less power you can draw.
You will also see a higher inrush current, but even at AC110V you won't hit the braker. Additional capacitors will only add to the problem.
If you have the chance to measure voltage ripple at full load, I'd be interested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2018 02:51AM by o_lampe.
May 22, 2018 03:03PM
So the appropriate way to determine what would be required would be to measure ripple with an oscilloscope?
May 23, 2018 02:04AM
Bill Clark
So the appropriate way to determine what would be required would be to measure ripple with an oscilloscope?
That's right with regards to extra capacitors.
For 12$ you should just give it a try. If it doesn't work, you can still use it to boost your pedelec bike or something...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login