Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Budget 400x400 printer

Posted by machina 
Budget 400x400 printer
May 28, 2018 03:12AM
Hi buddies

Need your help to finish my printer based on XYcoreTheory I would want to incorporate the 2130 stepper drivers, BTW all mechanical pieces I already got it, but I need to get the best choice for the board to run it. Next parts I already got are My printer partsThe mechanical (Nice Brand medical Accuracy linear rails) 400*400 aluminium plate 3mm thickness, 2020 and 2040 aluminium frames, GT2 6mm Belt, teeth pulleys, Screwball C7 lenght 500mm no Brand but I had bad experience before with trapezoidal large screws. then I choose to bought the SFU 16... , Brand Bearings, Nema 17 motors 1.8ยบ... Hope you can help me, my budget is around 150USD for the 4*2130 stepper drivers, best choice board, and anything extra I'll probably need. Cheers and Best Regards!
Re: Budget 400x400 printer
May 28, 2018 03:21AM
do you think its wise to mount the Z axis stepper at the top of the machine/frame with a springy coupling.
May 28, 2018 03:37AM
jinx
do you think its wise to mount the Z axis stepper at the top of the machine/frame with a springy coupling.

Maybe the leadscrew is supported from the bottom, too?

The 2130 is supported only by Marlin ( AFAIK ) and it's quite weak. What's the main reason for you to choose them? Quietness or software current control?
They work best with 24V, but a Marlin controller with 24V support is rare. ( eg. Rumba )
If you look for silence, you can also pick some 24V/32bit controller with 1/128 muStep drivers ( eg. MKS LV.....). You can then pick a firmware of your choice and have plenty more power.
May 28, 2018 04:32AM
o_lampe
Maybe the leadscrew is supported from the bottom, too?
maybes for a monday! shocker on reprap.... not even then with that coupling, it would have to be constrained so much it defeats purpose of choosing that type in the first place .
mee thinks and goes gets a coffee
May 28, 2018 10:58AM
400x400x3mm? That's not a plate. That's a sheet. It won't be flat enough to print on without mesh leveling, so you'll need a controller that supports mesh leveling and a sensor to go with it.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
May 29, 2018 01:11AM
What is the rated current of your stepper motors? Unless it's quite low then the TMC2130 may not be a good choice. If you increase your budget a little you can get a Duet WiFi or Duet Ethernet with 5 X TMC2660 drivers (the big brother of the TMC2130) on board.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 30, 2018 10:32PM
I second the Duet. You can run the 2130's
Up to 44v with marlin, ramps, arduino. Just power the motor voltage pins with the higher voltage and the ramps with 12. Easy peasy. I am using the 2100's this way on one of my machines. I will say I could not get the 2130's to work right with marlin but believe it was not related to the way I was powering them.
IMOP You will not see the full potential of you machine with the relatively slow clock speeds of the arduino. Your going to want fast travel moves for your big envelope. The Duet on the other hand will make it haul ass with its high step rate capabilities. I have both setups.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2018 10:38PM by Bill Clark.
June 01, 2018 04:18AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but his travel moves should be slower since he's moving a bigger, heavier gantry and carriage with the same nema17s used with smaller, lighter setups. Plus acceleration should probably be set lower because of the longer belt paths being more susceptible to stretch. That aside, I think arduinos are plenty powerful for the linear kinematics of a CoreXY at any sane travel or print speed.
June 01, 2018 09:22AM
Trakyan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but his travel moves should be slower since he's moving a bigger, heavier gantry and carriage with the same nema17s used with smaller, lighter setups. Plus acceleration should probably be set lower because of the longer belt paths being more susceptible to stretch. That aside, I think arduinos are plenty powerful for the linear kinematics of a CoreXY at any sane travel or print speed.

Potentially valid points.Would have to try and see. Depending on specs of the motors he's using the 21xx drivers low current capabilities and particular mode may be the limiting factor as opposed to the Arduino anyway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2018 12:03PM by Bill Clark.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login