Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wanted: Good alligator clips with rubber covers

Posted by tmorris9 
Wanted: Good alligator clips with rubber covers
June 03, 2018 03:24AM
Yea you can find these everywhere but the problem is the last 4 sets I ordered were unusable. The rubber (or vinyl) insulators are so slippery that when you squeeze the clips the clip inside slips and rolls to the side. It makes them pretty much useless. I’ll even take a source for the alligator clips with insulators without wire as long as I can get ones that are good and not so slippery inside that you can’t squeeze them.

Wanted to add, I would prefer a U.S. source but that’s flexible it I can’t get them here.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 03:27AM by tmorris9.
Re: Wanted: Good alligator clips with rubber covers
June 03, 2018 08:20AM
I also purchased these alligator clips sets. The wire is not even crimped on most and loosely pushed into the Clips. I ended up re-soldering all Alligator leads.

All the good alligator clips with decent insulators have long sense disapeared. I found some 2.2" inch better, though they still have the slippery boots.

[www.ebay.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 09:04AM by Roberts_Clif.
June 03, 2018 04:34PM
The slippery boots are not the only problem. Poor fit of the jaws making for poor contact with the test wire/pin, poor connection of the clip to the wire and even broken wires inside the insulation have been common.

Having had so many occasions that a measurement failed or was wrong (often resulting in me throwing a hissy fit and chucking all of my toys out of the pram) I eventually decided that test clips were one area where no expense would be spared and I use clips like [uk.farnell.com] which are viciously expensive but lead to inner serenity.

Mike
June 03, 2018 06:58PM
leadinglights
The slippery boots are not the only problem. Poor fit of the jaws making for poor contact with the test wire/pin, poor connection of the clip to the wire and even broken wires inside the insulation have been common.

Mike

This is correct, they are a cheap. I even have some E-Z clips that are worse than the alligators clips. They break when you press to clip a wire on first use.
Currently still have older alligator clips from the 70's-80's that do the job correctly. Did not realize the quality of the newer alligator clips when purchased.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login