Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

thermistor ferrule alternative

Posted by mlaustin66 
thermistor ferrule alternative
June 03, 2018 01:52PM
I need to replace a thermistor and only have 1 crimp ferrule. It seems that no local stores carry something that small. Are there any alternatives?
VDX
Re: thermistor ferrule alternative
June 03, 2018 02:19PM
... last week I've replaced a loose thermistor "bead" by an even smaller PT100, with only 1,5x1,5mm big "flat" housing.

Instead of glueing it inside of the bore for the heater screw (like the bead before), I've clamped the PT100 on the side of the heater, fixed it with several turns of thin copper wire and embedded/isolated with thermal cement, which is stable for up to 600degC ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 03, 2018 02:55PM
E-Bay searches for ferrule results

1.5mm Ferrules
1mm Ferrules
0.5mm Ferrules
June 03, 2018 03:17PM
I know I can order them. I was looking for a quick fix to get it working today.
June 03, 2018 04:05PM
Oh!

Use a insulated BUTT Terminal Connector #22-18 at Any Hardware Store
(the order large to smallest red, pink - purple is the smallest)

Cut in half remove plastic to leave only the ferrule throwing away the plastic. Doubling the wire to get a better connection if necessary and Cover to prevent shorting. Kapton Polyimide film tape will work.
June 03, 2018 06:00PM
mlaustin66
I know I can order them. I was looking for a quick fix to get it working today.

Solder a wire on to the thermistor and cover the joint with heat shrink sleeving. Try to keep the heat shrink sleeving from touching the heater block, or put high temperature glass fibre or silicone sleeving on top of it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 03, 2018 06:47PM
Kester Solder has a melting temp below ABS and some PLA filament depending on to solder you purchased.

Lowest melting temp 118C to highest temp 240C
June 04, 2018 02:30AM
Roberts_Clif
Kester Solder has a melting temp below ABS and some PLA filament depending on to solder you purchased.

Lowest melting temp 118C to highest temp 240C

Common lead free solder has a melting point around 217C. The joint will remain at a lower temperature than the heater block, assuming you don't make it right next to the heater block but after 20mm or more of wire. But I agree that it wouldn't be wise to rely on a solder joint as a permanent solution if printing anything other than PLA.

E3D hot ends no longer need a thermistor connection to be made close to the hot end, following the change to cartridge thermistors.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2018 02:31AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 04, 2018 06:19AM
I've used Dupont connector crimps as ferrules, and to join wires. Not the best thing but you can crimp them on easily enough, and put heatshrink over them.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
June 04, 2018 12:44PM
Thanks all for your suggestions. There is a hobby store in town that I went to. They had aluminum tubing rods that were around 1.5mm inside diameter. I cut them to 10mm sizes with a dremel, and it worked perfectly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login