Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet Network Sucks

Posted by cwaa 
Duet Network Sucks
June 25, 2018 01:19PM
I need help in changing my network assigned IP address. When I tried to set Duet up it gave me a IP address that is already in use on my network. How do I change it?
Re: Duet Network Sucks
June 25, 2018 02:30PM
Is it a Duet Ethernet board?

If so, there should be an M552 statement in the config.g file that defines the IP address. Change it to an unused address, or enable DHCP so it gets assigned by the router. If you manually assign the address, you probably should go into the router and fix the assignment of that address so that the router doesn't try to assign it to some other device the next time the router boots.

See: [duet3d.dozuki.com]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
June 25, 2018 02:38PM
How do I get to the config file without network access? This was the first step that the documentation describes. Is there an interface I can use with USB? I should have stayed with Smoothie and not believed all of the hype over Duet. By the way the IP address it chose, is fixed and used by another computer. Under Netgear you can assign IP addresses to given devices and save them. The address it chose was already in use and assigned. How do I know what it will pick next time?
June 25, 2018 03:06PM
I have the sd card and am unable to find a config file on it.
June 25, 2018 03:13PM
There is a USB driver, but it may be easier to just pull the uSD card and plug it into your PC with an adapter.

The config.g file is in the sys directory. It is plain text, so edit with any text editor. Be sure to eject the uSD card from your PC before you pull it out of the PC or windows may trash the file system on the card.

The documentation says it defaults to DHCP, but when I got my board it had an already used IP address assigned and I had to do the same procedure. You can turn on DHCP and let the router set the IP address, or you can manually assign it and then let the router know that that address is reserved.

Right now I use a netbook PC connected directly to the Duet Ethernet board via a network cable (no router or switch).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2018 03:14PM by the_digital_dentist.

June 25, 2018 04:17PM
Thanks for your help. I am a little pissed off I guess. I spent a lot of time deciding between another Smoothie and the Duet. Finally the hype was so good I sprang for the Duet. First 12 steps in their documentation don't work. I asked if I could get an RMA to return the board and was told "NO". I was then told the problem was with my router and that I expected too much from the support group. I was told that it might take 2-3 days to get an answer and then that would be on a duet forum I didn't know about. Smoothie was easy to get info and help on a daily basis. So with "YOUR" help I was able to edit the config file. I am familiar with some gcode, but have never used it to the extent Duet requires. I had never used M552 either. We will see how it goes from here!
June 25, 2018 05:52PM
I think you have to give it a chance. The Duet board, like SmoothieBoard is a very complex device and setup takes a little preparation and review of the documentation. I think you'll find it worth the effort once you get through configuration.

I converted UMMD to Duet recently and wrote a few blog posts on the process. I sort of condensed the process by providing a bunch of links to the documentation in the order needed to get the latest firmware and set the board up. I didn't find the process any more difficult than setting up a SmoothieBoard for the first time, though the documentation is a little more scattered than Smoothie's.

June 26, 2018 01:35AM
As somneone who has used both the Duet won my ongoing usage over the Smoothieboard.

Co-creator of the Zesty Nimble, worlds lightest direct drive extruder.
[zesty.tech]
June 26, 2018 06:56AM
@cwaa. Sorry you had an issue setting up the network. I do not monitor these forums frequently so please.do head over to forum.duet3d.com with further issues and we will do our best to help.
June 26, 2018 11:32AM
Why not share the fact that you have a forum on your store front?
June 26, 2018 11:38AM
Finally got my Duet to respond to the network by editing the config file. Their first 12 steps to connectivity don't work. Now I am trying to User the RipRap configuration tool for my initial set-up and of course it doesn't work either and there is no place to ask questions that I can find. I have been at this now for 5 days. If Duet is so superior to Smoothie why is it this hard to set-up? I have no idea what my next move is, as my printer is custom and the example config files are way different. Where are the diagrams that explain the dimensions they are asking for. But the big issue is that once you fill out the configurator and press finish.....nothing happens and it sits there for hours with no response. Great tool! Any ideas would be appreciated.
June 26, 2018 11:41AM
briangilbert
As somneone who has used both the Duet won my ongoing usage over the Smoothieboard.
Maybe I will get to compare, but right now 5 days in I could easily stomp the damn thing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2018 11:41AM by cwaa.
June 26, 2018 02:22PM
cwaa
briangilbert
Maybe I will get to compare, but right now 5 days in I could easily stomp the damn thing!

Please do not stomp it, I will give you 20 dollars for the board!
June 26, 2018 03:09PM
If you're using a windows PC (maybe others, I don't know) when you hit finish, a popup window appears:

If you're not seeing the popup window, maybe you have popups disabled in your browser.

I went through all the stuff you are going through a few weeks ago. My approach was to break the process down into steps and then get each thing working and test as you go. First, get it talking to a computer, then update firmware, then get the end stops and the motion working, then start on the heaters, then the fans. Any other stuff like veltilators, LEDs, etc., you have comes last. The online configurator has not caught up with the firmware, so I ran into some issues with configuring heaters and PID tuning. The configurator will put in M301 statements for the heaters, but M301 has been superseded by M307. The PID control now uses different parameters (I believe PID values are derived from the other parameters).

My printer is a corexy machine with 1 extruder, a heated bed, and a chamber heater. I have attached a copy of my config.g file that may be of some use to you, especially with regards to heater configuration.

For my printer, which uses a simple Z=0 switch, the configurator was a little confusing. If you are using a simple switch like I do, on the End Stops page, in the Z Probing box, choose the switch option and set offsets in the configurator to 0, not the default 2.5mm. If you leave the defaults set to 2.5, the first time you home the Z axis, your printer's bed and nozzle will become intimately acquainted.

Heater configuration was also a bit confusing because the different heaters are all referred to by multiple names each depending on whether you're talking about screw terminals and connectors on the PCB, the names used by firmware, the tools in gcode, or the physical objects you're connecting to the board. On some of the tables in the online docs, it is sometimes hard to figure out if a label is referring to an extruder heater, the screw terminals it connects to, or its name in the firmware.

I spent about a week working on getting my board up and running. It takes a little effort to get started, but thousands of people are using these boards in a lot of different machines, so you will be able to get it running. It is easiest to find info by searching for very specific items on the documentation wiki and in the forum. I found that every problem I ran into was previously encountered by someone else and the answers were mostly there to be found by searching first, then asking. I've been lurking at the forum there and reading other peoples' posts on different topics to try to absorb some knowledge about the board and using it, you might find that sort of thing helpful, too.

Attachments:
open | download - config.g (3.9 KB)
June 27, 2018 06:30AM
What a misleading and unnecessarily aggressive title.
If you get thrown off by something as trivial as a IP address, networking might not be for you.
The duet's network is, if anything, superior to the competition.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2018 06:32AM by orea.
June 27, 2018 09:33AM
Thanks for you input. So much for the claim of "great" documentation. Thanks to a tip I found out that the only browser that works with the configuration program is Chrome. So after many failures I changed to chrome and then was able to complete the configuration.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2018 09:35AM by cwaa.
June 27, 2018 09:44AM
You don't like my title you can kiss a big one. I chose it to put pressure on Duet if I can. They claim great documentation and it sucks.
June 27, 2018 09:51AM
Thanks!
June 27, 2018 11:45AM
The duet documentation is pretty good but they do need to put a little more hand holding in it. While it is perfectly possible to follow their instructions, you will often have to use google or youtube if you're not use to working with a router or are new to 3d printing. You seem to be very new at one or both and are getting upset.

The duet forums are very helpful and responsive but you're abrasiveness is going to push people away from actually wanting to help & makes it more difficult to listen to advice. Try putting this project down for a few days/week and come back with a cool head.
June 27, 2018 03:39PM
Why should the "The Best" in the business takes 5-7 days to set up? Why should I not be able to follow their instructions and be successful? Why pay $180 when I could have bought a clone? Because I felt I should support the development effort. Next time I will buy a $50 knockoff! And I am not worried that Duet support will not help me as they have done nothing yet. I have been getting my "successful" help from other sources anyway. Look at those with similar experiences on this site for instance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2018 03:41PM by cwaa.
June 27, 2018 05:07PM
I will say that I wasn't really impressed with the documentation, however I had no trouble getting mine set up. Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen other people with similar experiences to yours.

As it happens, I use Chrome for my main browser, but trying a different browser when things don't work is pretty much standard operating procedure for me, as I have things that only work with IE/Edge, some that only work with FireFox, and others that only work with Chrome. It's a nearly daily thing where I work, so it's one of the handbook troubleshooting methods.

I'm the network admin at work, so networking and it's vagaries aren't foreign to me. Anyway, I made my initial connection via the USB/serial, which worked fine once I had the driver installed. I connected it to the wifi using the included instructions.

For the forums, they may not mention it on their front page, but Google gave me the corporate front page, and the forums as the top links when searching "duet wifi" I found them that way. I think I registered for the forums, but haven't done anything there yet.

I will say that I would certainly have preferred more real world examples in the documentation. I did find that things like the homing setup is nonintuitive, and the documentation seems to assume more familiarity with things than I have.

Honestly though my biggest complaint is that I had to re-pin my end stop switches to reverse the positive and negative pins to make them work as expected.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
June 28, 2018 09:39AM
Best documentation my ass....I got this from the Duet forum...…"The configurator will set the heaters up with M301 commands because it has not kept up with firmware changes. M307 is now the command to use for heater set-up."
June 28, 2018 12:38PM
That was my comment.

Here's the thread on the Duet forum that led to that revelation.

If you had searched for "configuring heaters" or similar term, you would have brought up that thread in the forum that explains what was going on. As I said previously, if you break the tasks up and look for specific information as it's needed, it isn't too hard to find the info you need. I am under the impression that DC42 monitors all the traffic on the Duet forum and chimes in when others are not able to answer questions or more clarification is needed.

I agree that the documentation is less comprehensive and a little less organized than smoothie, but that doesn't make the Duet board a piece of trash. It just makes it less than ideal for beginners, the impatient, or the incompetent. Keep in mind Duet is open source and run by a small group, not Apple. You can't expect a huge level of instantaneous support.

June 28, 2018 02:46PM
I've been watching this thread with some amazement and, frankly, disbelief!

On this forum is a folder called Electronics. The top folder within that is 'Duet' and the sticky at the top of that is by dc42 and states, simply, "Where to get help for the Duet series of 3D printer electronics" and within that is everything you need to source perhaps the best-informed, most helpful, most responsive and most professional support you could possibly want.

I say this only as a very satisfied customer of the Duet products - I have no other connection, financial or otherwise, with them.

I have used their support when I built both my printers and have always received the answers I needed quickly and patiently - even in the face of my abject stupidity in one specific case! Usually other members of the community chip in as well and this, too, has generally been very useful and serves to demonstrate the strong support these products have.

I guess the difference is that I took the time to try to debug the problem myself, searched for the support I needed and then respectfully asked for support. It worked and I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the Duet range of products, dc42 and the team.

I truly hope that you, cwaa, can overcome your initial problems so that you can experience this support but if you do decide to sell the board on I'm sure that there are many who will be very keen to take the board off you (me included but I suspect that we are on different continents).

Richard
June 29, 2018 12:59AM
RGN01
I've been watching this thread with some amazement and, frankly, disbelief!

I'll second that!

First off with no vested financial interest I would have no problem recommending the Duet 3D products to anyone that has a measure of computing knowledge, not tool shy, and are capable of compitently using a search engine in order to find basic help. To those a little less confident or experienced I wouldn't say stay away, but I would seak to build a common machine so that you can ask for copies of config files to read and understand. While the automatic generation tools are helpful, blindly using them without knowing what they are doing, or understanding the gcode is unwise.

Secondly I'd like to say support on this forum and the duet forum has been great with only the occasional topic needing a few nudges (often in the form of more information from me) before I get feedback. I've not read the official sales pitch for a while but I understand the pitch is at the Connoisseur who is looking for the most capable, fully featured equipment. I didn't think it was pitched as an easy option for those looking to hack out and replace alternative boards from other printers.

I've now built 2 Ormerod 2s and rebuilt the first of those into a core xy system. The Ormerods had the orginal Duet v0.6 as inherited by the core xy before that was replaced by a Duet Ethernet. I've also replaced someone elses Up Plus 2 oem board with a Duet Wifi. None of these processes have been a simple read instructions, do instructions, succeed excersize but if they were I both wouldn't have been interested in the activity and I'd have a real shock when I needed to excersize independent trouble shooting for more complex material specific calibration or optimisation.

My hat is off to those of you who are pitching in to try and help this person. My presence here is to add another positive review to this product so far only heavily slated by one in this thread despite such a vocal sound off which would normally be a rally cry to collect similar experiences. I have no interest in helping or working with anyone who thinks sounding off in such a negative and unconstuctive manner is the appropriate course of action.

Open Source is about collaboration and shared experience mutually benefitting a comunity.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2018 01:07AM by WesBrooks.
June 29, 2018 04:03PM
Duet is about money!
June 29, 2018 04:52PM
Forget all you know or all you think you know.
June 29, 2018 05:47PM
Bill Burroughs said it best:"Exterminate all rational thought".

June 30, 2018 11:50AM
cwaa
Duet is about money!
dc42 lives and breaths this stuff and has an obvious passion for it. I doubt money is his primary motivator. I had a similar issue to yours, was able to get past it fairly quickly and consider myself a computer retard.
June 30, 2018 03:36PM
[duet3d.dozuki.com]

gives good tutorials to start with.

So please don't give up, but take your time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 04:51PM by JoergS5.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login