Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Confused re Z code

Posted by skaha 
Confused re Z code
July 03, 2018 08:28PM
Hi I am new to printing, I have run into a couple of STL files that don't have any z codes in them, of course when I try to print them the z does not raise up and the nozzle drags. What am I missing? Other files I have tried work perfectly.
Terry
Re: Confused re Z code
July 03, 2018 08:42PM
Do not believe I have ever seen a STL file without any Z-Codes unless it was single layer like a sheet of paper thickness.

Please post the STL file

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
July 04, 2018 02:09AM
Maybe you fall in a hole in the ground and come out in flatland where 2D .STL files for plotters and laser engravers exist?
July 04, 2018 05:09PM
Don't know to capture and send code, here is portion. using the snip tool. Is it possible this is not an STL file .
Attachments:
open | download - g code.JPG (82.9 KB)
July 04, 2018 05:13PM
Then where did you get the STL file post a link.

July 04, 2018 05:30PM
[cdn.thingiverse.com]

Is this the correct address ?
Terry
July 04, 2018 05:32PM
[cdn.thingiverse.com].
Hope this is what you asked for. I searched under the title "flag pole holder" .
Terry
July 04, 2018 06:02PM
OK downloaded your Flag Pole Holder STL. It is a 3D Model with Z- Axis dimensions.

When you search your G-Code file you will Note: " G1 Z " with a number after this is your Z-Axis movement.
This Z-Axis movement is very seldom, At 0.28 Layer height the first is at 79 & 82 the next is at 2268 & 2270
"Why is there a difference between 2268 and 2270 or 0.075mm this is my Z-Hop Value"

What slicer are you using to slice the Flag_pole_holder_fixed.stl.

I used Cura 15.04.6 from the below web page list

[ultimaker.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 06:18PM by Roberts_Clif.

July 04, 2018 06:12PM
I used slicer3r . I am printing another one now, as it prints it shows the x,y, and z codes, the z codes are shown in red and are on the screen showing - while on the lcd it shows no movement on the z ?
July 04, 2018 06:50PM
With the LCD Control can you move the X, Y and Z axis to there max limits and back to the home position.

July 04, 2018 11:36PM
Once again thankyou for your info, I downloaded and sliced with Cura, I made a minor bed adjustmen (about 1 or 2mm) and it printed perfectly. I took up this hobby at age 79 so the knowledge is like water going thru sand, takes a while.
Terry
July 05, 2018 07:22AM
You are fine.

I think that is admirable that you took up this new 3D Printer innovation as a Hobby at 79 years young.
Though I have not made it too 79 I too am a senor and caught the 3D Printer bug going on 2 years.

If you ever need help with anything you post or PM1 me, we ("meaning all here on this forum") will walk you through anything, just remember that this technology is new to me too.

1. Private Message

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 11:04AM by Roberts_Clif.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login