Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rumba plus voltages for i3 mk3 clone

Posted by djoha13 
Rumba plus voltages for i3 mk3 clone
July 06, 2018 04:48AM
Hi i am building a budget prusa i3 mk3 clone and i am planning on using a cheap rumba plus board with tmc2130 drivers [www.ebay.com.au].

i know that these drivers perfer 24v which is part of the reason i am going to get the rumba board which works with 24v and "Three of the outputs can be switched between the raw input voltage and a regulated 12V output, so 12V fans or heaters can be used with 24V power supplies." [aus3d.com.au].

The problem is i dont know how this works or what it works for.

Question 1: does it regulate the stepper motors at 12v? (i dont want it to)

Question 2: can i have a 12v heated bed and hotend or do i need to buy more expensive parts such as a mk52 clone?

Question 3: can i use a 5v inductive sensor with it or will i need a 12/24v to 5v converter?

Question 4: are there other ways for me to do this and what would you recommend? e.g have 2 power supplies

Question 5: is 24v worth it?

i plan to be able to use the prusia i3 mk3 firmware (because it is smart) and i could potentially buy a more expensive mk52 clone which is 24v instead of a mk42 clone.

I am open to all suggestions that you have for building a mk3 clone
Re: Rumba plus voltages for i3 mk3 clone
July 06, 2018 05:26AM
1) it uses what ever voltage you put into the stepper motor power input. (hotend0 and hotend1 also uses this)
2) heated bed uses what ever voltage you put into the hot bed power input. (can be separate supply from steppers)
3) you use want ever sensor you want. A 5v senor will need some way to get 5v. There are 5v sources on the board see [raw.githubusercontent.com]
a 12v or 24v sensor you need something to drop the output to 5v max

The only 12v made by the board is for the fans and one hot end, if you select it. (low current, not suitable for heated beds)

According to the circuit diagram only hotend2 can be moved to the internal 12v

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2018 05:45AM by Dust.
Re: Rumba plus voltages for i3 mk3 clone
August 08, 2018 01:59AM
Wow thanks heaps. I could have probably bought a cheaper board for doing this but oh well. I think i will buy a cheap 24v heater cartridge for my hot end and run it off the straight 24v but i will use the lower voltages for the 5v bed levelling sensor and 12v fans. I have bought a 24v power supply by the way. The only thing i have not bought is the heated bed but the heated bed on my anet a8 can be switched between 12v and 24v so i should be fine for now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login