Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

24 volt power supply

Posted by flydeprutten 
24 volt power supply
July 09, 2018 02:02PM
Ok, I'm really in doubt. I don't know if my power supply is big enough.

I have spent a long time planning to put a bed heater in my printer and I have gone back and forth between 12 and 24 volts. However, I now order a 24v, 210W silicone bed heater, as I already have a 24 volt power supply and I can get a cheap controller that can handle 24 volts.

As I said, I am in doubt whether the power supply is large enough. It's a 15 amp / 360W supply, and in addition to the bed heater, I have 4 stepper motor and a 40W hotend. Will that be enough power?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2018 02:03PM by flydeprutten.
Re: 24 volt power supply
July 09, 2018 02:15PM
This page breaks down the requirements for 3D printer power supplies very nicely: [duet3d.dozuki.com]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 09, 2018 02:35PM
the_digital_dentist
This page breaks down the requirements for 3D printer power supplies very nicely: [duet3d.dozuki.com]

Thank you for the informative link.

So:
Blower 3W
Hotend fan 3W
Hotend heater 40W
4 Stepper motors 17W
Controller 3W
Heat bed 210W

gives 276W which is 30% below the maximum power of my power supply. Is there anything I have overlooked.
July 09, 2018 03:18PM
That sounds about right, but how big is the bed? Do you intend to print ABS? If so, a 210W heater is good for about a 200x200 mm bed. If the bed is larger than that you may be waiting a long time for it to heat up. If you think you might add a second extruder, better throw in another 50W for another heater and motor.

Are you going to be running LEDs from the power supply, too? I have about 20W of LEDs that are on at any given time...

It is best to not run power supplies (or anything else) at the limit of their ratings if you want them to last.

July 09, 2018 03:52PM
the_digital_dentist
That sounds about right, but how big is the bed? Do you intend to print ABS? If so, a 210W heater is good for about a 200x200 mm bed. If the bed is larger than that you may be waiting a long time for it to heat up. If you think you might add a second extruder, better throw in another 50W for another heater and motor.

Are you going to be running LEDs from the power supply, too? I have about 20W of LEDs that are on at any given time...

It is best to not run power supplies (or anything else) at the limit of their ratings if you want them to last.

My bed is 200x300, but I have no intention of printing ABS at this time.

I can't rule out that I want to use an AC heater in the future, which will allow me to print ABS and will give me enough room to add a dual extruder. Right now I'm just not quite there yet, where I'm comfortable playing with AC power.

I have no LEDs and have no plans to add it. All I have is a Raspberry with its own power supply and a small homemade display for my controlle made of a 0.96 inch oled display and a rotary encoder, just to be able to edit my printer's mesh bed leveling.
July 09, 2018 09:51PM
Several months ago I put a 200×200, 500w silicone heater on one of mine. Over kill for most but ambient to 160c in a little over 2 minutes really makes me hate the time I used to wait for the bed to come up to temp. 70c in less than a minute, I would never go back to a weaker setup
July 09, 2018 09:59PM
Wow! I hope you have a TCO on that thing!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login