proudly presents: my 1st 3d print!

Posted by noobdude 
proudly presents: my 1st 3d print!
July 10, 2018 02:26AM
My 1st 3d print!

Problem: broken cable on headphones
Solution:
- peel away the welded plastic housing of the plug
- cut off a length of cable with the break and resolder it to the remaining stub of the plug
- print a new housing around that solder joint

Filament: TEDI 7mm x 10 cm stick
Material: semi transparent stuff
Printer: KH 998D (original extruder was lost somehow)
Time spent on concept and design: 5 min
Time spent printing: 5 min
Software used: biological neuronal network (pimped with 2 beer)
I attached an image with the sketch in case anyone wants to reproduce that.

Conclusion: Yes, somehow it works. But I just don't manage to get those layer artifact lines which make every printed 3d thing look as it was scribbled down by a 6-year-old. But these layer artifacts seem to be so essential as everybody boasting proud videos on youtube about their newest 3d print experience features them. Just like all that scrawl exceeding the outlines every 6-year-old produces when colourizing a-pre printed drawing. And just likewise these full-grown 'makers' claim respect for their achievements.
As I got no layer artifacts that probably means no lolly for me. Bummer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 02:33AM by noobdude.
Re: proudly presents: my 1st 3d print!
July 10, 2018 07:58AM
Sniff Glue Stick Much?
July 10, 2018 11:11AM
Your temps might be a bit too high as you have some weird melting around the edges. try using a part cooling fan.
July 10, 2018 11:57AM
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
VDX
July 10, 2018 01:55PM
... my favourite "masking" material is Polymorph cool smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 10, 2018 04:24PM
I don't understand. A joke maybe?
July 10, 2018 05:15PM
Holy1
I don't understand. A joke maybe?

Have not figured it out yet. Though must Be a prehistoric form of 3D Printing.

TEDI 7mm x 10 cm stick

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
VDX
July 10, 2018 07:51PM
... less a joke... more sarcasm winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

July 10, 2018 08:16PM
.... less of sarcasm more of a serious cry out for help!
July 10, 2018 11:01PM
Best. First. Print. Ever.
July 12, 2018 03:08PM
Dust
.... less of sarcasm more of a serious cry out for help!

Yes, indeed. I have no machine to do the 3d printing for me yet. So I must do it manually. I hope I have proven that I severely fail at that. What I need is a 3d printer.
Well.
Maybe not really "need".
But definitely WANT.

So I started to try to get informed and find out what exactly it is that I crave for - and was a wee tiny little bit disappointed to learn what can be achieved by modern state of the art printers that fit the budget of a hobbyist. If it was up to me to name this kind of device I'd have called it "3d-scribbler", not "printer". To my bewildered surprise most of the prominent videos on youtube about 3d printing deal with printing artwork - in the loosest sense of the term. Even though singing dragons, toy boats and comic action figures are not my cup of tea I really do appreciate the effort, style and detail some artists manage to create with 3d modelling software. That takes skill, experience and a lot of talent and even more work. When I see what you get when you put such a model through a 3d printer .... weeeell .... how can I put that into polite words ... Last time I spent some time in the lavatory I wondered: "Maybe I should call the rear end of my digestive system Hot End."

Luckily I'm a philistine as far as design and beauty is concerned - as long as things work. So I still want a 3d printer. Every now and then I build something with diys electronics. Once my home-etched pcbs work and the microcontrollers are programmed it's always a pain in the hot end to build suitable housings, mounts, holders for sensors and the like - just using a jigsaw, dremel and hot glue.

Thus for me a 3d printer should be a tool, not (only) a self inflicted project. I don't mind spending one or two weekends to get things started, but then I'd prefer to have a machine that works reasonably reliable. A device with random precision that relies on luck when it comes down to embed pcbs and sensors is useless to me. Once I've got the design right I want to get a usable print at 1st attempt. I'd prefer to save 200 bucks over the inconvenience of having to assemble / mod a device. My neighbors would prefer me to spend 200 bucks extra if it helps turning the thing silent. I'm a noob with no experience at all - and probably a head full of unrealistic dreams. I don't know what is important and what is not.

Given a budget of 1000 EUR i was recommended to get a Prusa Mk3 kit. I'd have done that but Prusa only ships by UPS in Germany. UPS only delivers at working hours, when I'm not at home. So I'd have to drive to the "nearest" hub which means 2x ~50km and 2h. That virtually means UPS doesn't deliver at all which unfortunately puts Prusa out of business as far as I am concerned.
Another recommendation was to get a CR-10, preferably the S variant and pimp it with an additional z-axis motor, a probe for auto bed leveling and maybe some other mods I've already forgotten.
Or I could build a 3d printer from scratch, dyis. But what I really want is a tool, not an adventure. Wishes change. Infect me! Help me! Tell me what I need!
July 13, 2018 11:54AM
noobdude
I'm a noob with no experience at all - and probably a head full of unrealistic dreams.

I think this is the nub of the matter. There are lots of people here that make lots of precision 3D printed parts. I myself print a lot of complex multi-part mechanisms for engineering prototypes. But it takes lots of practice and patience to get there - a couple of weekends isn't going to cut it. No one would to buy a CNC milling machine and expect to produce precision parts without spending many hours learning to use the machine. That's what this forum is about - helping people to learn to use their printers effectively. In short, a 3D printer is not a magic box; it is a tool that requires some painstakingly learned craftsmanship.

And if you ever print a singing dragon with your hot end, please post a photo!
July 13, 2018 12:11PM
noobdude
Given a budget of 1000 EUR i was recommended to get a Prusa Mk3 kit. I'd have done that but Prusa only ships by UPS in Germany. UPS only delivers at working hours, when I'm not at home. So I'd have to drive to the "nearest" hub which means 2x ~50km and 2h. That virtually means UPS doesn't deliver at all which unfortunately puts Prusa out of business as far as I am concerned.
Another recommendation was to get a CR-10, preferably the S variant and pimp it with an additional z-axis motor, a probe for auto bed leveling and maybe some other mods I've already forgotten.
Or I could build a 3d printer from scratch, dyis. But what I really want is a tool, not an adventure. Wishes change. Infect me! Help me! Tell me what I need!
I doubt that I've spent a total of 1000 euro (taking exchange into account) on 2 full printer kits, and almost enough spare parts to build a third printer, including a bunch of spools of filament.

~300 EUR should get you a fairly nice kit. Probably better than either of the ones that I got. (That's about what I overspent on my first kit) It's probably worth investigating Amazon.de (I just did a search for "3d Drucker" on amazon.de and say a number of reasonable options in the 200-300 EUR range, some that I would probably go for under 150 EUR.)

For these, it's worth asking around here for things to look for and things to avoid. You probably want a heated bed. You probably don't want an acrylic frame.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
VDX
July 13, 2018 02:09PM
... when we were in the beginning of the RepRap-project, the idea was to sell all the printed parts and some "vitamins" (e.g. electronics, bearings and motors) for a bundle price of 300 USD ... then source/collect the mechanical bits'n'bytes for the housing ... and last assemble it and get it printing, to fab a new "all plastic parts - kit", to give it away to a friend or enthusiast.

Now you can get a fully assembled and working 3D-printer from China for less than 150 USD eye popping smiley

This "cheapish" chinese printers could be a good "starting" basis to get into the theme and optimise or rebuild them for own use ...

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login