Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Favoured suppliers for bolts, washers, nuts?

Posted by WesBrooks 
Favoured suppliers for bolts, washers, nuts?
July 14, 2018 03:38AM
Hi all.

Working towards a build of a second ormerod reusing the extrusions, rods, rod bearings, and Duet.

Who do you use for low volume nuts and bolts or do you over stock and eventually use?

Thanks.
Re: Favoured suppliers for bolts, washers, nuts?
July 14, 2018 04:06AM
aliexpress and sometimes ebay, way cheaper than local suppliers

always get more so next time you don't have to wait months...
July 14, 2018 04:16AM
Ok, that's fair enough. Will sort a BOM soon. Hoping to reduce the rage of bolt sizes and type used but may forget that if it doesn't make much financial sense! Is it just zinc plated to avoid much corrosion?

Edit: Not that it makes any difference to your suggestions but I'm UK based.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 04:17AM by WesBrooks.
July 14, 2018 04:30AM
I stick to stainless steel, no issues. But if you live by the sea you might need more protection from corrosive salts...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 04:30AM by Dust.
July 14, 2018 04:37AM
I use eBay for small quantities of fasteners (typically Boltbase or Kay's fasteners), and Westfield Fasteners for larger quantities. I always choose stainless steel because the extra cost is small.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 14, 2018 04:49AM
Stainless is fair enough. I had not thought of that because I am used to it being avoided on cars and engines due to it being weaker but that's far from a problem on printers!
July 14, 2018 03:40PM
I use BoltDepot.

Edit:
They offer individual and large quantities. I haven't come across any cheaper American supplier that can supply quality hardware. I use their stuff on remote control as well as full scale. They have pretty much every material type and grade too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 03:42PM by boredom.is.me.
July 19, 2018 07:38AM
Hey Wes,

We have a lot of the Ormerod sized fasteners in stock. Let me know if you need any - we can supply low volumes.

Best wishes
Sally

Sally Bowyer
RepRap Ltd
July 20, 2018 05:03PM
You did not say your country.

For most stuff I use FolgerTech in the USA.

They are the only place I found in the USA that has chromed rods at low prices.
I wish they had the same prices on ramps and megas.

They now carry small screws in 100 packs.

I got a big order of screws from china last year, but when I need more I'll likely get them at FT.
July 21, 2018 12:24AM
Thanks all for the hints. Got a while before I've got through the CAD work I want to do before building.

Yeah, I didn't say where I was from in the first post but did in the second. The non-UK suggestions may still be useful for other people searching the forum for the same information.
July 29, 2018 04:33PM
WesBrooks
Thanks all for the hints. Got a while before I've got through the CAD work I want to do before building.

Yeah, I didn't say where I was from in the first post but did in the second. The non-UK suggestions may still be useful for other people searching the forum for the same information.

For common items, Screwfix will take some beating. You won't find small quantities but you'll get 50 or a hundred for the price of 5 or 10. e.g. M5 x 16 button head screws 50 pack for £2.79. M5 stainless nuts £3.99 for a 100 pack or bizarrely stainless nyloc nuts even cheaper at £3.49 a hundred. [www.screwfix.com]

Edit For small quantities of less common fixings, this ebay seller takes some beating [www.ebaystores.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2018 04:36PM by deckingman.

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
[www.youtube.com]
July 30, 2018 05:28PM
If you haven't picked a supplier yet, check out trimcraftaviationrc.com. They've got good prices and shipping is reasonable.

[www.wildbot3d.com]
July 30, 2018 11:43PM
hayseed_byte
If you haven't picked a supplier yet, check out trimcraftaviationrc.com. They've got good prices and shipping is reasonable.
I use them as well. Would definitely recommend.
July 31, 2018 05:37AM
Poundland now have a 150 piece set of M3/M4 nuts and bolts in a neat little box.
July 31, 2018 07:06AM
"Poundland now have a 150 piece set of M3/M4 nuts and bolts in a neat little box."

Are they made of gallium?

I bet the quality is very low.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2018 07:06AM by Dust.
July 31, 2018 01:19PM
Dust
Are they made of gallium?

I bet the quality is very low.

It doesn't say what their made from on the packaging. Quality seems OK, but I haven't really made use of them yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login