Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot End Options?

Posted by SmurfKiller 
Hot End Options?
May 05, 2011 11:39PM
Hi all, I am trying to track down parts to build a Prusa Mendel and I have found almost everything I need, except for the hot end. I do not have access to the tools required to build one myself, from what I understand I need a lathe. And getting one just for this is just stupid smiling smiley

Is there anywhere where I could source one? Or an alternate option? One which could be built with tools that are not going to break the bank smiling smiley
Re: Hot End Options?
May 05, 2011 11:57PM
Removed, I recommend buying a J-head or Makergear hotend now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2012 03:22AM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 06, 2011 12:52AM
Thanks for the reply. I must of skimmed over part of the text. but it looks like i could make this with a drill press and some sort of jig?

[reprap.org] <-- as noted in this wiki entry.

That with the wade's geared extruder shouldn't be too hard to make without a lathe. I think smiling smiley
May 06, 2011 01:02AM
I mentioned how I did it in the notes at the very bottom, but here it is again.

All holes were drilled using a cordless hand drill.
The hollow brass bolts were made by spinning the bolt in the drill while holding the drill bit with pliers. (0.4mm hole drilled while holding the bit in my fingers)

A similar technique can be found [staff.bath.ac.uk]

And this is how most repStrappers are building there wades. (including myself) [www.thingiverse.com]

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
May 06, 2011 01:06AM
I'm documenting the entire build this time

Hmmm ... want to do it up in the
Plumbstruder wiki page? smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
May 06, 2011 01:12AM
SebastienBailard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm documenting the entire build this time
>
> Hmmm ... want to do it up in the
> Plumbstruder wiki page? smiling bouncing smiley

That should not be a problem. Is there a template I should use?

May 06, 2011 02:33AM
Is there a template I should use?
Yup:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Example

But I've loaded it into
http://reprap.org/wiki/Plumbstruder
so you just need to log in and start doing up photos and text. grinning smiley

Thanks for helping out!

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
May 06, 2011 06:52PM
My Wildseyed Simple Hot End requires only simple tools, and the mechanical components can be sourced from the hardware store. It fits the Wade's Extruder nicely, and you have a lot of control over how small to make the nozzle hole.

Pictures are at Thingiverse
May 10, 2011 05:55PM
Removed, i recommend buying a J-head or Makergear hotend now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2012 03:22AM by Sublime.

May 10, 2011 11:00PM
Thanks for putting up the instructions. I'm wondering what the advantage is for making the nozzle out of an acorn nut or gas jet nozzle vs simply boring out the threaded rod?
May 10, 2011 11:17PM
HereinCS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for putting up the instructions. I'm
> wondering what the advantage is for making the
> nozzle out of an acorn nut or gas jet nozzle vs
> simply boring out the threaded rod?

The reasons to have a removable nozzle are to make it easier to clean/re-drill as well as having different nozzles .35 .4 .5 etc and from my experiences stopping the bit .5 - 1 mm from the end of the hole is very hard with out a lathe. You don't want the .5mm hole any longer than 1mm or the force to extrude gets higher.

There are some disadvantages too, the two piece design can leak where a one piece can't. I found in my previous designs if the nut didn't fit flat enough against the heater block I had to wrap the top of the threads with 4-5 wraps of teflon plumbers tape to seal it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login