Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kisslicer... somehow is GREAT

Posted by Tinchus 
Kisslicer... somehow is GREAT
July 23, 2018 08:41AM
People... I use cura, slic3r and s3d like for the last 3 years. I tried other slicers and just discarded them for one or another reason. An actually I mostly use slic3r (the dev versions) and s3d when I need some heavy support tweaking.
The other day I saw a video about kisslicer new version and decided to try it. The new release has a couple of wizards, they take you through steps in order to set up some kisslicer features and tunning. I went through them, and then I did a test print... UAU!!!!!! I couldnt believe the quality I got without major tunning. I just followed those wizards (actually only 2 of the four ones) and the print quality was AWESOME. There were no blobs, no stringing at all, dimensions were more accurate than ever, and the fiting of moveing /assemblies were SPOT ON wihout the need to do any post porocesing.

My printer is well calibrated. So I started thinking why such a difference. Well, I see that kisslicer handles the path generation somehow different to all other slicers, I see the hotend doing much much less travelling moves, so my theory is that by doing so may be the hotend pressure is more stable and so the print extrusion quality is more stable too? Also, it has some features luke something calle PRELOAD. What Ive seen is that works somehow similar to linear advance tunning. You hacve a wizard t tunne that value. And Im sure it is because f that feature that for example corners in a print have not "fat all, no blobs. And that makes that wehen you print to 2 pieces in order to assemble them, the fitting is just perfect, no need to do ay compensation, postprocessing, etc. I printed a reel with multiple parts. was sure that assembly woud need some sanding because looking at the files they showed like cero tolerance. Well, the parts no pnly came out with a super nice quality but also when I tried to assembly them.... The asembled each other with perfect fit. I was and Im very surprised and that is why I took the time to write this post. I would really recomend to test this slicer
The software was like old. but seems it has come back to life since 2017/2018 with all these new features (and more to come)
Still, nothing is perfect in this world jajajaja
To be sincere I have to say that it has pros and cons:

Pros: print uality is somehow improved., it handles some printing things in an automatic way and that makes a difference. It is almost free. And after doing the wizards... you get really good models.
Cons: the lack of documentation, and some features that we might consider "normal" they are just not there, like you are unable to arrange the models in the bed manually. The software just arrange them automaticale and you can move them around the bed but all together. Also, the interface is not really intuitive, but to be fair I would say that as all other slicers interface are smehow the same, kisslicer has moved away from that so we might be looking for something expecting to be there and it is just somewhere else lol

Again, I would really recomend to give it a try.
VDX
Re: Kisslicer... somehow is GREAT
July 23, 2018 09:47AM
... this "PRELOAD" could be the same as the "lookahead-buffer" in modern path planners, what essentually is collecting and calculating the path for the next couple of lines to avoid full stops at edges winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 23, 2018 10:44AM
Kisslicer has been my slicer of choice for 5 years.
July 23, 2018 11:18AM
Tinchus
I saw a video about kisslicer new version and decided to try it.

The new release has a couple of wizards, they take you through steps in order to set up some kisslicer features and tunning.

Please post link, and explain the wizards you used, if you do not mind.

Thank You

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
July 23, 2018 12:36PM
Quality so good you didnt bother to take a picture?
July 23, 2018 02:52PM
Sounded good, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Bizarrely, it appears that it only knows 3 kinds of firmware: 3D Systems, 5D Relative E, and 5D Absolute E ("most common"). Or maybe the list scroller/selector thing is broken. Either way, deleted it again.
July 23, 2018 05:52PM
No, it looks like it is something like a pressure control/linear advance setting.
July 23, 2018 05:57PM
Dont know about that, but probably yes, as I said, it lasck of a lot of "common" features in other slicers.
July 23, 2018 05:58PM
frankvdh

Bizarrely, it appears that it only knows 3 kinds of firmware: 3D Systems, 5D Relative E, and 5D Absolute E ("most common"). Or maybe the list scroller/selector thing is broken. Either way, deleted it again.

Well, yes, as I said, it lacks of "common" features present in other slicers.
July 23, 2018 08:54PM
Tinchus
frankvdh

That's a huge understatement. This is useless to 99% of people if it doesn't support Marlin or Repetier or RRF.
July 23, 2018 11:25PM
frankvdh
That's a huge understatement. This is useless to 99% of people if it doesn't support Marlin or Repetier or RRF.

Marlin should work as 5D — Relative/Absolute extrusion.

I had to dig around on Kisslicertalk.com for that tidbit. I used the old Kisslicer version with a previous CubeX printer and it wasn't too shabby. I didn't find the user interface or documentation to be particularly user-friendly.
July 23, 2018 11:48PM
frankvdh
Tinchus
frankvdh

Both Marlin and Repetier use 5D, both can use either Relative or Absolute.
I’ve used KissSlicer for years, I used to consider it considerably better than the other slicers, but recent versions of Cura and the Prusa version of Slic3r have closed the quality gap a lot. I still think KissSlicer has the best support of any slicer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2018 11:48PM by Polygonhell.

My blog [3dprinterhell.blogspot.com]
July 26, 2018 06:42AM
frankvdh
Tinchus
frankvdh

It is a nonsense statement because 3D systems, 5D relative E and 5D absolute E refers to extrusion and movement mainly... and those are supported for all amjor firmawares. I use kisslicer in repetier and marlin
July 26, 2018 07:05AM
Tinchus

It is a nonsense statement because 3D systems, 5D relative E and 5D absolute E refers to extrusion and movement mainly... and those are supported for all amjor firmawares. I use kisslicer in repetier and marlin

Then is there a base for a Prusa i3 compatible 3D Printer that someone can share with 1.75mm filament settings.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
July 26, 2018 08:58AM
check kisslicertalk.com there's a fair chance you'll find something there.
July 28, 2018 10:41PM
Roberts_Clif
Tinchus

Then is there a base for a Prusa i3 compatible 3D Printer that someone can share with 1.75mm filament settings.

In kisslicer website you can already download profiles for prusa printer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login