Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low voltage stepper drivers on ramps / other controller boards

Posted by Splic3dBread 
Low voltage stepper drivers on ramps / other controller boards
August 15, 2018 05:21PM
I am working on a very very tiny delta printer and wish to use nema 11's (yes, it's that small) Most of them operate at 3.5v so any drivers normally used for 3d printers won't work. The DRV8834 looks like my best option. What I'm wondering is if there's a way I can make them work with a traditional control board.

Here's the pictures of the pin output of the A4988 and DRV8834.

Besides the VDD pinout being changed to Fault, whatever that is, the right side of the pinout looks compatible but the left side not so much, as the MS3 pinout is missing. Would it be possible to wire the driver up to make it compatible? If not, are there any other low-voltage drivers that would work?
VDX
Re: Low voltage stepper drivers on ramps / other controller boards
August 15, 2018 07:04PM
... the relevant value for steppers is not the rated motor voltage, but the rated current!

So your motors would run perfectly with a "normal" stepper driver, if you adjust the current for the motor (best is something around 80-90% of the rated max. current, to prevent overheating).

It's even the other way round - most drivers are supported with 12 Volts, but would run much faster with 24 Volts winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login