Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Idea for greatly increased speed

Posted by Splic3dBread 
Idea for greatly increased speed
August 22, 2018 02:15PM
I plan on perhaps adding a modification to my experimentation printer using massive 100+ tooth pulleys. In theory this should add more speed to the tool head with less speed to the motor mitigating rotor inertia, the biggest limiting factor in 3D printer speeds. I'll have to experiment with microstepping to see if there is a noticeable quality reduction with the lower values, something that usually isn't observed. I will see if I run into torque problems with NEMA 17's, if I do I have some NEMA 23's and DRV8825's laying around that I will add.

Anything I'm not considering that would lead to this not working?
Re: Idea for greatly increased speed
August 22, 2018 02:22PM
Extrusion.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
August 22, 2018 02:26PM
Why stop at 100 tooth ? Why not 200 ?
I put tires twice the normal size on my car and I go twice as fast !

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
August 22, 2018 05:40PM
I would think that this would cause torque problems aplenty.

If you want to increase print speed that much, it is probably a better idea to start looking at linear encoders and getting rid of stepper motors, in the same manner that ink printers have gotten rid of stepper motors for head motion. Almost any application that depends on speed ends up getting rid of stepper motors eventually. They still use them puching the paper in printers, but have stopped using them for print head motion in order to increase speed.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
August 22, 2018 11:28PM
Like TDD mentioned above the limiting factor tends to be the rate that you can melt and deposit plastic.Try extruding in air at the rate that would be required for your target print speed first and work that out.
August 22, 2018 11:35PM
the_digital_dentist
Extrusion.
Agree. On speeds 200 mm/s and up your limiting factor is volumetric extrusion speed or ability to melt plastic fast enough. And you may get to 300 mm/s and above on 20 teeth pulleys (verified).
August 23, 2018 02:32AM
wrong post sry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2018 02:39AM by jinx.
August 23, 2018 06:22AM
Bigger pulleys lower your torque, meaning you'll need to lower your acceleration and go slower. The rotor inertia is typically fairly small compared to the mass of your gantry and carriages. They also lower your resolution. May I ask how fast you are going that the toolhead's speed in XY is your limiting factor? Belt driven systems are already pretty fast.

Want to go really fast? Use servos and inertia match those to the load they are driving.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login