Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Considering a build - need advice

Posted by aamcle 
Considering a build - need advice
September 14, 2018 07:26AM
I like building "stuff" and my son (adult so he may be able to keep his fingers out of the belts) is interested in a printer, I have a Replicator clone so I can print any parts needed.

It doesn't been to have a large volume in fact a compact size would be an advantage but I do want a heated bed and probably some sort of display.

What can you recommend as a first and relatively inexpensive build?

Many Thanks. Aamcle
Re: Considering a build - need advice
September 14, 2018 08:24AM
hypercube thingiverse link or a delta like the mini kossel be my first choice ,, remember 3d printer builds get very addictive smileys with beer
September 14, 2018 10:54AM
Honestly this is a very subjective question.

I would find the kinematic style you are most interested in building.
-Core-XY
-Delta
-Prusa i3 style
-Ultimaker
-etc....

Then find plans that match/meet your requirements/expectation/hopes

Core-XY printers tend to be physically larger compared to their build volume.than what you may be looking for.

Here are links to some interesting/quality designs that should be doable on a budget:
[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]

and....
if you're adventurous: [www.thingiverse.com]
^MPCNC can be configured as a CNC, 3d printer and/or a laser engraver and is super affordable albeit less popular.

Personally, I found great satisfaction in the learning process of designing my own printer on a budget. It is/has been an exceptional learning experience.

Best of luck!
-Joe
September 14, 2018 02:26PM
I've been looking around and since its not going to get much use once the novelty has worn off a MPCNC might be a good option but has anybody actually built and run a Snappy?

It looks fun especially in multi-colours smiling smiley

Even so some Dexion and a few rods could build a typical printer and as you said designing these things is very very interesting.

Atb. Aamcle
September 14, 2018 02:32PM
There are people who have built snappys, they are cool and functional but have more limitations compared to metal framed printers

I'm going to build a mpcnc later this year myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2018 02:33PM by obelisk79.
September 14, 2018 03:51PM
I do not think Snappy may have heated bed.

If you have been looking at MPCNC and if you are on a budget check Piper 1 or 2. I did build MPCNC myself and made Pipers project while being inspired by it. But then yes Ryan (the men behind MPCNC) has his own printer also.
Piper 1 is at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2966295 and Piper 2 is https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3022836

In 1 week we will at the World Maker Fair presenting Pipers.
September 14, 2018 05:14PM
I'll have a look at Piper smiling smiley

Aamcle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login