Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New arm design? Would love feedback

Posted by DaGameFace 
Re: New arm design? Would love feedback
September 24, 2018 05:07PM
Ed3D
I can appreciate both sides of what you two are saying. No the deflection isn’t great, neither is repeatability and it could easily be much much better using machined Al but then its no longer this cheap to build. I think this poises itself in a certain price to quality level that many might find appealing / fun.

Exactly, the price to performance ratio of this layout, compared to other arms is a compelling niche.

The deflection is bad right now, but thats not the arm itself, and therefore isnt reflective of the concept, just a bad v1 base, but i have seen other 3d printed basses that are definitely good enough. The first repeatability test I did was super janky, but did you happen to watch the video? most of the error in it was actually a result of the articulating metal arm that held the dial gauge adjusted slightly (the cam and cable system in that articulated arm isnt great) And i guess i forgot to mention that the first half of the probes were one screw being moved and the second half was just the other screw

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2018 07:17PM by DaGameFace.
September 25, 2018 02:27AM
Indeed, the base is yet an other big challenge that will add to the complexity and cost.

So this claim: "Exactly, the price to performance ratio of this layout, compared to other arms is a compelling niche." is let's say questionable !
Will check again in a few months for any progress.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2018 09:23AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
October 02, 2018 06:13AM
Nice Base...[www.facebook.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login