Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Funny question about priming

Posted by Tinchus 
Funny question about priming
October 07, 2018 05:21PM
Hi all. I have had a really funny discussion today with a guy. This guy is like tryng to be really "creative" (im trying to be kind). But I ould like to hear the forum opinion about this, specially from experinced users like digital dentist and others.
This is the issue: What do you prefer: a simple priming sequence, where the extruder is instructed to extrude 50mm of filament at the 190X190X50 Xyz position, and then it moves to the 0X position and the starts printing (with the already seen cases that may be ht e "poop" pile of extruded filament moves to the printing area; OR you would go for a clean and more modern skirt option.

I feel just silly for just posting this, but still would like to hear from you guys
Re: Funny question about priming
October 07, 2018 05:28PM
I do it manually every time when my heads 10mm off the bed, and remove with tweezers, and if any extra comes out on the way down to the bed, i try to get that aswell
October 07, 2018 08:56PM
I preheat, collect any ooze and then use a 2 perimeter skirt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2018 01:22AM by obelisk79.
October 07, 2018 09:15PM
The poop pile thing and the skirt serve two different purposes.

The first one is intended to clean the crud off the nozzle, I think. Typically, you move the nozzle to some point near the home corner of the bed, extrude several mm of filament without moving the nozzle which creates a poop pile that sticks to the bed and to any crud that's on the nozzle, then you drag the nozzle out of the pile which leaves behind the crud.

You're still traveling, so the nozzle is drooling. You get near the center of the bed and start laying down the skirt which primes the extruder if you didn't do the first part, and then a short jump to the print itself and the extruder is ready for business.

I have experimented with using both and using just the skirt. I think I prefer using both, though I'm not very consistent- I use different slicers on different computers and some are loaded with custom gcode to poop and skirt, and some just skirt.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 08, 2018 02:26AM
As my Z0 is determined by the nozzle touching the bed and triggering a sensor in the carriage, it needs to be hot and somewhat clean.
So, the hot end is brought to T°(bed too), I eventually remove the oozing before the homing happens. The Z is homed twice to make sure to crush the hot plastic, then business as usual, skirt etc... The home position is a small piece of Al sheet as the BuildTack can't stand the nozzle heat.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
October 08, 2018 09:34AM
I do it manually every time, and remove with tweezers, and if any extra comes out on the way down to the bed, as my Home is in the front left corner I retrieve it and continue to print.
Using a 1 wrap skirt irf it becomes necessary I will increase the skirt to more loops.

The reason for the Skirt is that I can also use it to adjust the 1st layer height adhesion using the Z axis Baby-Stepping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2018 09:37AM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
October 08, 2018 10:31AM
Sometimes it's a mad dash to find the tweezers, scissors, spatula, chopsticks, pliers...quick where are they...
October 08, 2018 03:12PM
i print a rim or out line around 4 loops and around 1-2mm away from part if i am doing abs i have the rim attached to the part for more bed adhesion

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
October 08, 2018 03:26PM
I've got slicer start up g code setup so that it extrudes 10mm when it's up to temperature with the nozzle hovering just beside the print bed at Z1 so the extruded plastic drops down. Then it starts the print and moves to z0.33mm for the first layer, sort of wiping it on the bed. The first part of the skirt is slightly over extruding before settling to the correct extrusion width. The wipe line is always outside the printed object area as it just moves to the skirt first, and the skirt always starts closest to the x0 y0 position.

I use a bowden setup, 10mm extrusion seems to be the best for my setup to get the pressure up in the nozzle. This is on my new NFAN corexy printer.

I used to use a cotton tea/dish towel to wipe the nozzle on but it got too messy eventually. I clamped it on the heated bed. Just before the print when it moves to the center it passes over the cotton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2018 03:31PM by imqqmi.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
October 23, 2018 11:22PM
I have in my Delta start-of-print sequence a wipe with a 1mm total extrusion at Z=0.15mm around the perimeter of the bed. Then off to printing...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login