Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

no hotend forum and e3d v6 and clones question

Posted by terramir 
no hotend forum and e3d v6 and clones question
November 02, 2018 05:23PM
terramir here,
Can't find a hotend forum I could almost swear there used to be one.
My question is the following, anyone have jamming issues, with
The e3d v6 or clones there if. Specifically jamming in the transition
from the stainless steel to brass transition?
I have not used the clones yet I got but there seems to be a tapering
on both the nozzle and heatbrake that would allow for a slight expansion
of the filament path that could cause issues.
At least theoretically
terramir
Re: no hotend forum and e3d v6 and clones question
November 04, 2018 06:07PM
The clones are well known for jamming. The reasons vary from poor machining and surface finish to poorly replicated parts leaving gaps where there shouldn't be gaps. Most of the jams seems to occur in the heatbreak though, the filament sticks to the sides and clogs things up.
November 04, 2018 08:39PM
Yeah I bought some grit polish of differing grits to fix that, pipe cleaner and elbow juiceshould fix that.
But even on photos from e3d I saw that the heat break and the nozzle
Have that conical relief machined in even if the flat surfaces 100% match
This is a space while on the hot end of things I theorized would jam
terramir
November 12, 2018 09:28PM
In 2018 we shouldn't have hot-end jams. It's really sad. Chinese clones have set 3d printer hot-ends back ten years.
November 12, 2018 09:34PM
I think you were looking for Fabrication/Plastic Extruder Working Group
November 12, 2018 10:37PM
reifsnyderb
In 2018 we shouldn't have hot-end jams. It's really sad. Chinese clones have set 3d printer hot-ends back ten years.

that might partially be in the tube not being polished, but we actually talked about this a long time ago the need for a machined key where plastic cannot enter,
if you look at the e3d pictures on their website for the nozzle and the tube you see that there is a cone shaped into it there is room to expand right there that is a problem imho. it should be a straight match tube without the cone deburrment that is just inviting trouble,but a machined key would have been far superior and well ptfe should not be in any of these hotends we knew that was cause for trouble years ago, it was a make shift solution till we had a feasible all metal design.
how are you old pal?
terramir
November 13, 2018 01:10PM
Hello,

It's been a while and I am getting by. It's good to see you are still around!

Yes, the filament path needs to be perfect or else there will be problems. Poor machining will do it every time. Add in a poor design and there will be problems.

The biggest issue, other than temperature range, with PTFE was making sure it has no flaws in the support tube that contains it. PTFE tends to "flow" under heat and pressure and there will be jams if the area that supports the PTFE has flaws.

Best Regards,

Brian

terramir
reifsnyderb

that might partially be in the tube not being polished, but we actually talked about this a long time ago the need for a machined key where plastic cannot enter,
if you look at the e3d pictures on their website for the nozzle and the tube you see that there is a cone shaped into it there is room to expand right there that is a problem imho. it should be a straight match tube without the cone deburrment that is just inviting trouble,but a machined key would have been far superior and well ptfe should not be in any of these hotends we knew that was cause for trouble years ago, it was a make shift solution till we had a feasible all metal design.
how are you old pal?
terramir
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login