Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Machining quote for extruder parts - TOO EXPENSIVE!

Posted by owism8 
Re: Machining quote for extruder parts - TOO EXPENSIVE!
May 20, 2011 10:10PM
Hello,

I have the Sherline 4400, the long version.

Keep in mind that it is a light machine and has about a 1/3 horsepower motor. It will work fine with plastic, brass, and aluminum. You can machine steel; but, you need to take very light cuts. I haven't had any luck with steel that is greater than an inch or so in diameter.

At [www.sherline.com], you can see the different packages.

It has a ton of accessories and many of the accessories can be used with the milling machines as well.

I would recommend shopping around and not buying the machine straight from the factory. You can usually save a few percent off of the purchase price that way.

Even though it is a light machine, you can do a lot with it. It just takes more time as you can't take heavy cuts with it. I used it to fix my 10 inch Pratt and Whitney lathe when I got it.

For anything small, it is the machine I usually use.

You can thread on it buy buying a threading package that includes change gears. However, you do not cut the threads under power. Instead, you put a handle on the spindle and crank it by hand. (I have heard of that being done on a big lathe in order to thread up to a shoulder.)

Regards,

Brian

owism8 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Brian,
>
> Which Sherline model did you buy, or advise for me
> to purchase for use in this reprap project?
>
> thanks.
>
> reifsnyderb Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
May 21, 2011 05:18AM
thanks for the info. I saw some on amazon. I'll look more into them.

take care
May 26, 2011 01:02AM
For those looking to get small production runs, check out protolabs.com. I've used them before. Amazing array of materials available, too. I like to use them as proof before sending a new drawing for production at a CNC shop.

smiling smiley Chris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login