How to ask questions in this forum?
December 19, 2018 09:52AM
I am now in a proces of thinking how to put together my own 3d printer. I don't want to call it 'designing' because people have built printers like this before. I have a ton of questions about various details, like what size pulley, how wide belt, and many, many more.

Would it be better to start a new thread on the forum for my build and then ask all my questions one by one in that thread or shall I start a thread about each detail separately to focus discussion on a specific problem?

This forum is a gold mine and I have already learned a lot by searching through it, but I still have a lot to learn...
Re: How to ask questions in this forum?
December 19, 2018 10:22AM
If you're not working off of someone else's BOM, you are designing.

Have you selected an architecture- bed flinger, corexy, delta, etc? There are subforums for some of those. Otherwise, ask about pieces of the design as you go in whatever forum seems most appropriate, including the general forum.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 19, 2018 02:13PM
What type of questions are you looking to ask? If you are looking for specific recommendations (best pulley size, model of motor, etc), then you'll most likely get responses pulled straight from the BOMs of standard printer designs. If you are looking to build something different from the standard designs (to achieve some improvements or to meet some specific need) your questions, I suspect, will be more along the lines of why certain components are used, or what are the trade-offs in various design decisions. These sorts of questions will generate a lot more lively and interesting discussion and you'll get input from experienced printer designers/builders.
December 21, 2018 03:08AM
Just be specific !

Avoid generalities like "What do you think about my great design ?"

Do your homework and read, many answers and plenty to be learned in the wiki.

Don't expect others to do the real design for you. It will be a dead end. Better start with a sound cheap kit you can really improve and learn at the same time.

An other thing, how to select the correct answer (if there is one) or compromise, in a forum ? smiling smiley

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
Re: Marlin\src\HAL\AVR\HAL.cpp ...Error message
May 26, 2022 06:53PM
3D printer Anet a8

I am unable to run Marlin 2.0.9.3 on VS code after adding Marlin's furnished config file. The following error message "Marlin\src\HAL\AVR\HAL.cpp" is the only thing I get. Prior to introducing the Marlin furnished config file, the Marlin's default set up runs successfully in VS code. My WAG is there might be something in the config files may be causing a problem?

Thanks in advance for any help from a rank beginner .
Re: Marlin\src\HAL\AVR\HAL.cpp ...Error message
May 26, 2022 07:02PM
Anet a8 Printer

I am unable to get Marlin 2.0.9.3 to compile on VScode after introducing Marlin's Config files (for an Anet A8). The error message is Marlin\src\HAL\AVR\HAL.cpp. When I use Marlin's default setup the program compiles successfully.

Thanks in advance for any help from a rank beginner
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login