Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Artists using RepRap

Posted by j_routledge 
Artists using RepRap
May 20, 2011 06:07AM
Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm John, I don't have a RepRap myself but I'm very interested in Rapid Prototyping. I'm also an artist and a writer and have composed a number of articles for the International Sculpture Centre on the possible applications of CAD/CAM manufacturing techniques in sculptural practice.

I'm in the process of researching some follow up articles and I'm looking for artists using RP technology to feature as case studies in these pieces. And so I defer to your collective wisdom, are there any active members on this site who are using RepRap to make sculptures at all? Or do any of you happen to know anyone else using this technology to make art? I can't offer any money for anyones assistance unfortunately but obviously it would be excellent publicity for anyone who I did actually feature in these articles.

So yes if any of you could offer me any assistance, or advice on who to contact with regards to this matter, I would very much appreciate it.

Kind regards,

John Routledge
contact@johnroutledge.co.uk

p.s. if you want to include images in any e-mail please make sure they're low res (72 dpi) and small (around the 100kb mark), thanks.
Re: Artists using RepRap
May 20, 2011 04:05PM
As I've just posted in the other thread about sculpture, take a look at www.thingiverse.com Lots of people making lots of different, useful, decorative or just plain bizarre (ref mashup) things. Some you could call art! If it's collaborative or distributed art you're interested in, loads of people seem to be printing the 'bucket o' octopi' [www.thingiverse.com] but then, is it art?! I'm sure people will be happy to talk to you about it if you contact them through the thingiverse site.
May 21, 2011 06:57AM
I believe that the RepRap concept is ideal for anyone who want to do something a little extra. The major factor is that everything is open and possible to configure. I didn't say easy to do everything your self, but you don't necessary need to stay with what you got. You can always experiment away in your own field! Both a RepRap Mendel and Ultimaker and MakerBots have Pros and Cons... read and ponder...

Cheapest PLA on the net Supply3DPLA.com
May 22, 2011 08:57AM
i have had feedback from stop motion animators who are watching but waiting for finer resolution and more commercial looking prints before jumping on the wagon. the feature 'coraline' i believe used replaceable heads that were each 3d printed. I'm more interested in reprap for mechanical parts, aesthetically i prefer seeing finger prints in art-objects over the best quality 3d prototyping.
May 24, 2011 03:54PM
Cheers for the comments guys, Droft thanks for the link, a lot of leads there to get through. Lets not start on the 'is it art' question though, we'll be here all year spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login