Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is M577 Deprecated?

Posted by Travis Hainsworth 
Is M577 Deprecated?
January 16, 2019 12:42PM
M577 states that you can wait for an endstop to be pressed and provides an example which "will wait until the first extruder endstop is triggered". However, M574 only provides options for configuring the x, y, and z endstops. It there a different way to configure an extruder's endstop to be used with M577 or is this command deprecated with regards to extruder's endstops?
Re: Is M577 Deprecated?
January 17, 2019 01:12AM
am half alseep still but!!! why would an extruder need an endstop in the first place.
January 17, 2019 02:14AM
@jinx - Usually it is for something like a filament runout sensor
January 17, 2019 08:11AM
M577 can be used with the extruder endstop inputs on Duets, for example: M577 E1 S1

M577 functions independently of M574. For example, if you use M574 to select stall detection as the X axis endstop, M577 X S1 still waits for the X endstop input to be high, not for a motor stall.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2019 08:14AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 18, 2019 02:45PM
Thank you for the clear and concise reply dc42. I have had time to play with these commands and M581 performs similarly to M577 but is closer to what I want, however, M581 does not interrupt the current command. So, in the context of a filament runout sensor, if a long line is being printed and filament runs out it will not pause where it is, but will finish the long line and then pause. Is there a command that will interrupt the current command?

I am not actually trying to make a filament runout sensor though, for some background: I am attempting to independently raise and lower multiple extruders on the carriage. I am using a duet wifi board with the duex5 expansion and the height of extruders 0-3 are controlled with stepper motors connected through the extruder 4-6 ports (one extruder is fixed). I am attempting to home these later stepper motors and am struggling because G0/G1 commands only have access to the x, y, and z endstops (as far as I can tell). My current approach is to make a large extrusion (T4 \n G1 E3000) and to interrupt it when a microswitch is hit. Does anybody have any recommendations on a command which can complete this interrupt?

Thank you in advance for your help!
January 18, 2019 03:26PM
You can use the M584 command to temporarily create a new axis U corresponding to an extruder you want to home, then the E0 endstop input becomes the U endstop input. Likewise you can create additional axes VWABC to use additional endstop inputs.

The next major firmware revision will support flexible mapping from endstop inputs to axes.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login