Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RRRF membership objectionable clause

Posted by RobertCollins 
Re: RRRF membership objectionable clause
June 11, 2008 08:27PM
Lotta drama...Funny...and ridicules. Just put up the clause as it was said to be modified or retract the statement. Seems simple even if you don't agree with the issue--I don't agree with it but think that the board should do what it said it would.

Demented
Am I the only one who sees the obvious solution?
Change the clause to something like:
1)You take full legal responsibility for any patent and/or intellectual property violations caused by your actions using purchases from rrrf.org.
2)You take full legal responsibility and hold rrrf.org harmless for any liabilities that arise from derivative works of the materials purchsed by you from rrrf.org.
3)You may not resell for profit any materials directly purchased from rrrf.org .
3)You take full legal responsibility for your use of all designs/information freely available from the reprap project.
4)You are encouraged, but not legally bound to use the materials and information obtained from the reprap project for research work only.

That should cove it, but I'm no lawyer.
Here's a hint...look at the agreements of similar projects that sell stuff, and modify them , rather than blowing money on a lawyer. (chances are that someone's already had to come up with similar clauses, and you could just freeload off them)
June 26, 2008 12:28AM
If the board has already agreed to the text, why haven't the edits been made? On the one hand, it seems like a tempest in a teapot, but on the other hand, if you expect people to agree to something, then that thing should be something an honest person can agree with. Otherwise you're telling people "we don't take our agreement seriously and neither should you." in which case why have the agreement at all?
June 26, 2008 08:58AM
I think that the thing that you have to remember is that Reprap is an open source project that depends on part-time, volunteer labour. The rrrf is even a smaller effort within the project. It may just be that Zach and the board more interested in making sure that people who want to build Darwins have the latest parts they need to do the job than they are is cleaning up the website on behalf of people who "might" someday want to use those parts to go commercial. People are stretched pretty thin now that Darwin is taking off.
July 01, 2008 07:07PM
I can see that angle. Makes sense.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login