Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Nozzle tested for 3mm Filament

Posted by Phobia1 
New Nozzle tested for 3mm Filament
May 23, 2011 01:18PM
Hi Guys and Gals
I have been testing a new, weird looking nozzle. Its CNC made and a registered design.
All that I can say is that it solved the 3 problems that were plaguing my printing in seconds,
no leaking, heavier pressure handling and less upward heat.
Its a winner in my book but weird to look at. the website is [futureshapes.net] should anyone be interested and they are taking orders for end June delivery.
I wait for 2 more.
They have told me there are other parts coming month by month.
Best
F
Re: New Nozzle tested for 3mm Filament
May 23, 2011 06:52PM
it's hard to judge scale on this. It would help if you had pics of it mounted, and some printing results.

I love the built in giant heatsink with fan mount.

have you tested it on a PLA extruder to see if it can stay cool enough to not meltPLA plastic parts at the top?
May 24, 2011 02:31AM
Yes I USE only PLA and could not beleive the results. Another tester uses ABS and he has a 0.3 version, The one I have is 0.35 but its available from 0.5 to 0.2mm. There will be a completely new extruder I hear to go with it that cleans up the mendel much. I have seen it but can't comment until I try it out.
F
May 24, 2011 03:24AM
Do you have any pictures of the actual result from this head?
Rely very interesting!

Cheapest PLA on the net Supply3DPLA.com
May 24, 2011 10:40AM
All I shall say is that I can get very close already to my guru, Nophead who is no.1 as far as I am concerned and I am cracking parts out to my liking everyday now in any colour. Up until this nozzle I have had nothing but nightmares.
Great parts ruined by blobs, parts not printing to the end. I went around in circles for almost 2 months.
You need to make small mods to the plastic parts to fit it in.
I am going to as Futureshapes if they will make a special offer to the reprap forum users for say 3months.
The other thing that I will tell you is that the whole extruder and x-axis parts are going through similar, weird looking design changes.
My own machine gets changed on a regular basis but the results are purely great.
I print on glass, not sure how many of you are the same. Its the best as far as I am concerned. There is much coming and soon.
Estimation is from end of June. The nozzle is the first product but there are 17 more.
Best
F
May 26, 2011 04:53AM
Hi Guys the price has been fixed now. IMHO its a good deal at last. They will also offer a boxed set
0.4, 0.35, 0.30 and 0.25 or whatever you require. prices in that case are much better.
I shall change to 0.30 at end of this week. If anyone need help in printing on glass with PLA I can help as
have done much research on the subject with amazing findings.
Best
F
May 26, 2011 06:36AM
Phobia1 pleas publish your printing on glass findings. I have resorted to putting kapton on my glass, which is still good from the perspective of glass giving a nice flat surface, but it is easy to damage the kapton when removing parts. No kapton at all would be great.
May 26, 2011 07:30AM
looks interesting but really need to see photos
May 27, 2011 03:07AM
I shall put photos on the web site in a few days and more details for the nozzles.

For glass its all about balance. You can get to 65C and even 100C but its not required.
My power supply is a Maplins variable, expensive at 130 pounds but you can use a psu and convert it to work almost as well. Just use the 3.4V supply, you can add a regulator if required

I am using 3V at 10Amps to make the first layer. Then turn down to 5A.
When you finish the print TURN UP to 10 -12amps again and lift off the part or turn it off and let it cool.

The heated bed consists of 3 rows of 4 of the heating resistors (RS 252-2603) wired in parallel. For the wiring I used the earth from 2.5mm mains cable. Loop the bare cable through each side as one length. solder the joints. No need for tape just the glass, clean from time to time with Nail Varnish remover.
best
F

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 03:15AM by Phobia1.
May 27, 2011 08:46PM
I do not think this is a strange design!!!!

This "strange design" is not very strange to me it resembles and contains ALL of Nopheads designs and ideas.

Just search on [hydraraptor.blogspot.com] to see the Original ideas / variations of this design !!

It is certainly very very expensive 60 euro or £52.03 compared to Nopheads original designs.

It seems strange that there is no mention of the creative commons licence.

Yet there is mention of Adrians and Wades extruders.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
May 28, 2011 05:47AM
I think that you are mistaken. There is no such nozzle design like this around.
Nophead in fact was the first to see it and I would not like to offend anyone. He knows that better than anyone.
We believe that we can help many with our work and that is simply our aim.
The nozzle design has been updated further and works even better, we will continue with its development and that of other components.

The price is 50pounds for the nozzle and may be cheaper by the time its actually released.
We have to complete our testing first..
This nozzle is a combination of many things, but it solves the problems that plagued me.
It doesn't leak, it doesn't jam, it doesn't make the transport stop or be affected by overheating.
The first 20 to order will receive a discount on the current rrp.This of course applies to those that have already ordered.

Hope that many also will be able to use printing on glass with PLA. Apologies that I disagree with both Adrian and Nopheads findings.
All you need is as I wrote above. The only exception is that you need less than the 3.4V given from the psu hack. I would also suggest that you take the outputs and mount them on a non conductive surface. I have stl of a suitable top of psu box that I drew for mine if anyone wants it.
I mentioned other extruders because they have our full support. Our own version will appear shortly for both3 and 1,75 filament.
Best to all
F
May 28, 2011 08:52AM

Hope that many also will be able to use printing on glass with PLA. Apologies that I disagree with both Adrian and Nopheads findings.

What do you mean? Both Adrian and I, and many others, have been able to print PLA on glass. It is simply high temperature for the first layer and lower for the rest. Although glass is the best for PLA it doesn't work at all for ABS, so I use PET tape at the moment as it works for both.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 28, 2011 01:40PM
Yes of course that is true, but as I mentioned way above, I only use PLA and the technique I use works like a dream on glass with a simple 2.5V supply pulling 10amps for the first layer and then just 5amps for the rest. No high temperatures.
Oops this is getting a touch out of hand. Like you I do not wish to upset anyone, thats not the idea.
I shall create a wiki page soon, that may be the best answer for what we are doing which is only a small part of the other work.
Best to all here
F
May 28, 2011 02:10PM
without seeing pictures i can't really be certain, but the only difference i'm seeing with this compared to any of the other heater block hot end designs that have been popping up everywhere lately is that it has a fan mount.
May 28, 2011 06:30PM
I think maybe a picture would show us what part of this is quite diffrent from the Extruder designs seen here

[hydraraptor.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2011 06:31PM by BodgeIt.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
May 29, 2011 03:53AM
The nozzle,like any other design is an evolution process. There is no need to have a debate on this. Nophead made a no cost restriction nozzle at great effort and credit to him.
This nozzle is engineered as a single piece, no joints,no threads, nothing. All you have to do is mount the Peek, 2 additional spaces (unless you print a new base) and a fan, though on the Mendel that I use with 0.4mm I do not use a fan. This is because I use it in an open space. In a cabinet which is recommended of course you will need the fan
Others are using a 65mm fan and one a 100mm.
There will be pictures and even video posted once we decide on the optimum design. A new one is being milled today that has minor changed to the heat sink.
Best regards
F
May 29, 2011 05:20AM
I'm all for new designs/variety/sellers/prices etc. I have no problem with your accreditation, you have made clear it is based on others' work. My annoyance with this thread is that you (Phobia1) started with "They" as in "They have told me there are other parts coming month by month." (first post), and saying this was the next best thing since sliced bread. Now it's "once we decide on the optimum design", sounding like this is just your company and you are spamming the forum for sales. Sort it out and tell it like it is, or you'll never be believed here again.
May 30, 2011 05:56AM
The design of the nozzle and other parts is my own, thats how I know what is coming. I have enough experience with the Mendel, Darwin and other designs now to be able to help. Futureshapes is a cnc based company for engineering and architectural parts and I am technical director. I am not spamming for sales and genuinely feel that we can provide a useful service. I really wanted to see if there was any interest in this part and went about it in the wrong way, so again apologies.
What I as Phobia1 am saying, is that I, like many other users have issues with the 3D printer and have been testing my own designs. This nozzle will help many users and I say this with confidence due to the effect it has had on my own Mendel and that of 3 other testers. Apologies to all that have taken my words in the wrong way. I do not mean to provide insult to anyone, Nophead and Adrian should know that I respect them and their vaulable work with highest esteem. Yes I have looked at all the work and variations everywhere and come up with a working solution that solves MY problem. I only realised a short while ago that my problem is shared by many.
When we create the actual nozzle I shall send one to Nophead and ask him to test it to destruction.
We will slowly develop our website as other intended parts reach development. I personally like the Mendel as an intelligence base but share the opinions of Nophead and others that another approach is required. We are developing that approach.
Best to all
FJW
June 01, 2011 04:30PM
The best Noszzle is this spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

small and effectiv... dont need to be cooled... and print month over month... without any problems.

Mfg
Wolfgang
Aller Anfang war schwer - Wolfstrap Reprap-fab.org Meine Meinung

Erfahrungen kann man leider schlecht weiter geben, die muss man selber machen.
Look forward to seeing photos / videos of the hot end in action.

There seems to be a fairly large appetite for debate, especially when it comes to design rights / CC licenses, which is only natural etc. If you could ping up the wiki page for this nozzle design with an assembly diagram as I am curious to see the thermal insulation / barriers (unless the design relies on the active cooling of the fan / HS).

Cheers,

Iain
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login