Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is this design(attachment) of 3Dprinter PATENTED???

Posted by the robobuilder 
Is this design(attachment) of 3Dprinter PATENTED???
February 09, 2019 12:20PM
Hey guys I wanted to build and sell my 3dprinter with using conveyor in Y-axis for long prints but i'm confused that this type of design is patented or not???
If it is patented then how to deal with that,and if not then thats GREAT!!!
see attachment
So pls reply...

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2019 01:40PM by the robobuilder.
Attachments:
open | download - blackbelt.jpg (341.4 KB)
Re: Is this design(attachment) of 3Dprinter PATENTED???
February 09, 2019 01:42PM
You need to consult a lawyer, not a bunch of hobbyists.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 09, 2019 02:21PM
If it is patented, it is a shame because this idea has been used for ages in a myriad of machines that in fact could be considered 3D printers ! For ex to produce cookies !!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2019 02:22PM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
VDX
February 09, 2019 02:49PM
... you should be able to defend your idea against IP-causes simply by pointing on the ideas and concepts posted in this forum as "prior art", as they were posted years before the patents were filed ...

Here for exampe two of my old posts, mentioning "conveyr belts" - one 7 years old, the other 11(!) years:

[reprap.org]

[reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2019 02:52PM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 10, 2019 09:39AM
Thanks Viktor VDX sir u solved my problem,you had this idea 7 & 11years ago when i was in middle & primary school spinning smiley sticking its tongue out thats a great thing...

.........FINELLY I CAN BUILD MY OWN CONVEYR 3D PRINTER WITHOUT ANY WORRYING JUST BCOZ OF U SIR

Thanks again and keep going sir.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 09:42AM by the robobuilder.
VDX
February 10, 2019 09:51AM
smileys with beer

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

February 10, 2019 10:23AM
Were you worried about one of your friends or family members ratting you out to the Patent Police? How do you know that some other aspect of your design isn't patented? Are you going to review all patents and compare them against every detail of your design idea to make sure you're not violating one of those patents?

You're using patents the wrong way. Patents are intended to show others how to do things, not to prevent others from doing things. Use them as a source of solutions to problems and inspiration for your own design ideas.

VDX
February 10, 2019 01:13PM
... there's a pretty big difference between the "original intention" for patents (or general IP's) and the actual use sad smiley

The original patents from Stratasys and 3Dsystems (successfully) prevented the development of cheap (DIY) 3D-printers for 30 years!!

Only with the "imminent fall" of the basic IP's for the FDM-process there was the chance for Adrian Bowyer to start with the RepRap-project!

And beside -- in the first years we received some "notes" from them to avoid the mention of "FDM" with our extruders eye popping smiley ... so we found the synonym "FFF" for "FreeFormFabricator" instead cool smiley

Viktor
--------

February 10, 2019 02:08PM
That's a different issue from a hobbyist using an idea that came from a patent (or maybe thought of something that happens to already be patented). Practically speaking, patent enforcement would require that the patent holder finds out about your violation, and then believes it would be worth the cost of taking you to court if you ignore their "cease and desist" letter that would surely be sent first. What do they want, a licensing fee that will be a percentage of your profits from printing tugboats and yoda heads? It would never get that far.

Why don't all the people who worry about this sort of thing worry about licensing Yoda heads before they print them?

If you're doing commercial work, worry about patents and hire a lawyer. If you're not, don't bother about it.

February 11, 2019 01:38AM
VDX
... there's a pretty big difference between the "original intention" for patents (or general IP's) and the actual use sad smiley

The original patents from Stratasys and 3Dsystems (successfully) prevented the development of cheap (DIY) 3D-printers for 30 years!!

Only with the "imminent fall" of the basic IP's for the FDM-process there was the chance for Adrian Bowyer to start with the RepRap-project!

And beside -- in the first years we received some "notes" from them to avoid the mention of "FDM" with our extruders eye popping smiley ... so we found the synonym "FFF" for "FreeFormFabricator" instead cool smiley

And Stratasys copied that: [www.istockphoto.com]
They replaced the arm by a classic XYZ system.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
VDX
February 11, 2019 02:39AM
... then too, read about the Fab@Home project - they started with silicone 3D-printing ...

Viktor
--------

February 15, 2019 01:14PM
VDX

I thought that was Fused Filament Fabrication?
VDX
February 15, 2019 03:53PM
... there were several suggestions ... don't know, which "won" ...

Viktor
--------

February 15, 2019 06:26PM
Patents are good for 20 years max, stereophotolithography laser/photopolymer device patents lapsed in the early 2000s. Patents are intended to give a time-limited monopoly, not to illustrate or demonstrate. US corporate patent lawyers have been trying to manipulate extensions beyond that for fifty years, recently they'd been agitating for the extension of pharmaceutical and biotech IP under the aegis of the TransPacific Partnership free trade treaty (laughably oxymoronic terminology), with a lot of resistance from other countries, until President Trump withdrew the US from the treaty negotiations. Don't know whether the resistance would have stuck though, because a lot of countries signed up to the US's Digital Millennium Copyright Agreement (more a ransome, really) in 2000-2001 which has extended copyrights for music and literature to 70 years after the creator's death, and 120 years for corporate copyrights. I wonder when Disney is going to introduce I.P. Troll to push the company ideology as a kiddie-friendly character ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2019 06:29PM by murrayd.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login