Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nice flex plate option

Posted by Lykle 
Nice flex plate option
March 01, 2019 03:51AM
It is nice to see more and more PEI solutions coming available.

Backed this Kickstarter. I liked the flexibility (pun intended) of the offering and it would fit perfectly on my delta.

So far I have been trying out all sorts of print bed materials, so one more is not a bad idea.
Who knows, it might be the one and final surface!

Lykle

Co-creator of the Zesty Nimble, worlds lightest Direct Drive extruder.
[zesty.tech]
Re: Nice flex plate option
March 04, 2019 03:14AM
What's so special? I have that exact set up, but I have used it for the last 6 months or so now. The magnetic sheet cost me £5. I use a standard flexplate sheet from buildtak and buildtak PEI on top.
March 04, 2019 05:12AM
While the product is really nice, im affraid that the goal is a bit ambitious - $30K is a lot, and only 23 dayss to go sad smiley
March 04, 2019 11:03AM
martin1454
im affraid that the goal is a bit ambitious - $30K is a lot(

It's the goal required to enter production. Did you think the Nimble Kickstarter was just as ambitious too? Quality costs..
March 04, 2019 11:16AM
klcjr89
martin1454

It's the goal required to enter production. Did you think the Nimble Kickstarter was just as ambitious too? Quality costs..

But is there a market for quality ??? If you look here all the 3D printer "new" designs where low cost is a key point, one wonder ?
OK, almost none complete, yet no expensive parts have been bought. Selling junk seems more profitable.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
March 04, 2019 11:18AM
MKSA
klcjr89
martin1454

But is there a market for quality ??? If you look here all the 3D printer "new" designs where low cost is a key point, one wonder ?
OK, almost none complete, yet no expensive parts have been bought. Selling junk seems more profitable.

I was about to post this actually. The Chinese market has gotten people used to (and in a comfort zone) paying for junk and if it breaks, it's cheap enough to buy more of the same junk. A select few people of this group will migrate out of the comfort zone because they will get tired of the junk and will pay for the genuine stuff, such as Bondtech, Duet, E3D, etc.

People are willing to pay for genuine MK3 printers still, so clearly there is a market.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 11:23AM by klcjr89.
March 04, 2019 12:38PM
klcjr89
MKSA

I was about to post this actually. The Chinese market has gotten people used to (and in a comfort zone) paying for junk and if it breaks, it's cheap enough to buy more of the same junk. A select few people of this group will migrate out of the comfort zone because they will get tired of the junk and will pay for the genuine stuff, such as Bondtech, Duet, E3D, etc.

People are willing to pay for genuine MK3 printers still, so clearly there is a market.

The point is no one has the money, everyone is paying out more than they have now. Bills keep going up and wadges, well everyone knows about wadges!
Quite true, but just because some things are more expensive does not mean they are better quality and just because it is less expensive does not mean it is junk.
Everything breaks, everything burns with enough heat, nothing will last! Why because we will experience Murphy's Law 1st hand, the unfortunate end to everything.

If there's more than one way to do a job and one of those ways will end in disaster, then somebody will do it that way.

An this thread has gone way off subject course, time to bring it back into course.

There are so many new and different PEI solutions coming available, that it is quite impossible to know which one to purchase.
Currently I have 4 spare bed surfaces in the parts bins one was extremely expensive, never could get anything to stick to it the other cheaper one I currently use and works.
This bring the ideal of which one to purchase, of course this will be the one you can make work with your available funds an your 3D Printers environment.
Hopefully without spending your entire years allowance of funds set aside for this innovative hobby. An who knows which bed surface will end up being your final print surface!

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
March 04, 2019 02:33PM
I don't know of anyone that's offering PEI coated spring steel sheets like this in custom sizes. I backed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 02:36PM by FA-MAS.
March 04, 2019 02:34PM
FA-MAS
I don't know of anyone that's offering powder coated spring steel sheets like this in custom sizes. I backed it.

You have no idea how much I appreciate that! Thank you! smiling smiley
March 05, 2019 12:05PM
Update: we are now offering sizes up to 350mm and have lowered the costs of rewards! We have streamlined the reward tiers to make it less cluttered. You can also buy just a flex-plate now, whereas before we required the purchase of two at a time. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 12:05PM by klcjr89.
March 06, 2019 02:37AM
Perfect! I use a 300x400mm bed, but I can live with a 300x350 - Have you tried nylon on it yet?
March 06, 2019 10:15AM
Nylon and PEI usually don't play nice together, and that is why Garolite or Kapton is recommended (which is where the single sided option comes into play). smiling smiley
March 08, 2019 04:44PM
Here are two new images I took today. One shows the beautiful, uniform texture of the coating, and the other is a MK52 sheet I also made today.

March 13, 2019 10:06PM
This looks like a nice system but unfortunately I am in Canada. With the dollar difference, taxes and import duties it would be over $110.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 02:03PM by Holy1.
March 13, 2019 10:12PM
Holy1
This looks like a nice system but unfortunately I am in Canada. With taxes and import duties it would be over $110.

What is the % tax rate on importation into Canada? That's crazy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2019 10:12PM by klcjr89.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login