Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper Driver

Posted by MarkMills 
Stepper Driver
May 26, 2011 06:03AM
Hello all
I only have a couple of items left to purchase now to complete my Prusa. One of them is the 4 off stepper drivers. I just noticed these on eBay
[cgi.ebay.co.uk]

They are not Pololu and I was wondering if these were a critical item and should I pay the extra for Genuine parts.?

Any help or advice is appreciated

After this just the hot end to go!

Cheers
Mark
Re: Stepper Driver
May 26, 2011 06:32AM
I don't own a RepRap but in terms of electronics yes stepper drivers are crucial - there is no legit or official way but when we're talking about £1.50 more per driver I would go with the crowd.
If they are genuinely better - go for it, maybe someone has some specific experience with them?
May 28, 2011 04:08AM
Thanks for the reply. You make a good point. I was letting my drive of keeping the costs down over ride common sense.
Cheers
Mark
May 28, 2011 08:37AM
I wouldn't be worried about buying these. They are designed by the same person who designed the Sanguinololu.
Pololu is just a company that puts together the board, the main chip is from Allegro, so you don't HAVE to buy Pololu. They sell an A4983 and an A4988 version, which look similar to the ones in the ebay auction. [www.pololu.com]
It is the A4988 version that Pololu are out of stock of. You can use the A4983 version, but the A4988 version has short-to-ground and shorted load protection, which is good, but is harder to home-solder because of this (large thermal pad under the chip). If you are buying a complete board, it doesn't matter. The ones on the ebay auction use the A4988 Allegro chip.
A4983 - [www.allegromicro.com]
A4988 - [www.allegromicro.com]
As to whether the seller is on the up-and-up, that's for you to decide!
May 28, 2011 02:28PM
OK thanks.. I took a chance and ordered them from eBay. They came to £35 delivered.

I just need to sort out the hot end now. There is one on eBay for £60. Does that seam reasonable. It was more than I had anticipated.

Thanks again
Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2011 03:14PM by MarkMills.
May 28, 2011 06:39PM
Check out the Reprap shops listed in the Wiki..

Im sure pre made parts come to a lot less than £60 more like £30 I think.. or less plus delivery.

I cant recomend any of these shops as I have been making my own.

Im sure someone will though...

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login