Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Berd Air pump issue with clearance

Posted by charlieRC 
Berd Air pump issue with clearance
March 26, 2019 06:37PM
I’ve been using the Berd air pump and for the most part, I love. Unfortunately I am having a problem with the air ring snagging on the part being printed. It happens every dozen or so prints, and when it does, the air ring and the part being printed are history. The maker hive site says I should not let the air ring touch the heat block so am using a silicone boot on the heat block and nesting the ring up against that. Unfortunaly, that does not always keep in out of harms way.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a work around?
Re: Berd Air pump issue with clearance
March 27, 2019 06:51AM
I can think of only two ways that can happen. Either the air ring is below the nozzle tip, which means it isn't mounted right, or the print is curling up, which means the Berd air thing isn't doing what it's intended to do. Which is it? If it's the first, fix it, if it's the second, well, so much for love...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 27, 2019 06:14PM
Spring loaded air tube

The air ring is about a half mm above the tip, but can’t be sure it’s not dipping during printing, so I spring loaded it to see if tha helps. Also my speed may have been a little aggressive. I’ll see how this works.
March 27, 2019 10:11PM
Let me guess, the air ring is held in place by a printed piece of plastic. You're putting the ring up against the heater block (OK, there's a thin silicone between them) and the air ring is heating up enough to soften the plastic piece that is holding it, and it moves.

March 29, 2019 07:36AM
That was my first concern, but it proved to be a non-issue. I can feel no heat in the tube. I may try putting a temp probe against the tube, but I feel only a few degrees above ambient temp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2019 07:44AM by charlieRC.
March 29, 2019 08:37AM
There are only three possible problems. Either the print is curling up or the air ring is moving down, or both. If the print is curling, the pump system isn't doing what it's supposed to do. If the air ring is moving down, fix the mount.

It's common practice to leave the print cooler off for the first few layers of a print. Maybe when the air is off the tube is getting hot and softening/melting the mount.

March 31, 2019 04:49AM
So far, the spring-loaded mount has solved the issue...or at least, I’ve done quit a few prints without further issue. Hopefully, this was my solution. I can easily increase the upward pressure by moving the top washer down a bit, but for now, just knocking wood.
May 30, 2019 03:02PM
Off topic but how do you like your berd air? Does it cool enough and what are the noise levels like?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login