Clip-on-nozzle Z-probe?
May 09, 2019 03:34AM
Has anyone tried attaching a Z-probe for one-off bed-leveling directly to the nozzle? Seems like a straightforward method to me, but I could not find anything. I guess I am missing something?

I have something like this in mind:

I am imagining a small tactile switch (I have some Panasonic EVQ-PAC04M sitting around), that with a small housing would clip on to the (obviously cold) nozzle and hold there by friction; one then would run calibration, remove the probe and go on with the printing business. What do you think? Can you point me to similar designs?
Re: Clip-on-nozzle Z-probe?
May 09, 2019 05:10AM
Puck probe 2.5.2.1 [reprap.org]
There have been many variations including switches, simple contact pucks that use a clean metal plate making electrical contact with the metal of the nozzle, piezo-electric and piezo resistive pucks etc.. Some clip on or are held on by magnets and some have to be moved by hand.

Mike
May 09, 2019 08:10AM
There are already a lot of these things, like this one:
[www.amazon.com]

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
May 09, 2019 08:55AM
So much time and energy gets poured into trying to do something so simple... I use a piece of paper.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
May 09, 2019 02:09PM
leadinglights
Puck probe 2.5.2.1 [reprap.org]
There have been many variations including switches, simple contact pucks that use a clean metal plate making electrical contact with the metal of the nozzle, piezo-electric and piezo resistive pucks etc.. Some clip on or are held on by magnets and some have to be moved by hand.

Cool, thanks, Mike! "Puck" s exactly the type of probe I had in mind, specifically one with a simple switch and manually deployed, held by friction, zero X/Y offsets. Are there any particular designs (as in STLs, or instructables) for micro-switches?
May 09, 2019 02:13PM
Ohmarinus
There are already a lot of these things, like this one:
[www.amazon.com]

Well, yeah, I've looked into those. It is not an electrical switch and requires some signal processing board. Not to mention that it costs $24, compare with a $0.18.

And this is RepRap, aren't we supposed to be able to build stuff ourselves? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
May 09, 2019 02:14PM
the_digital_dentist
So much time and energy gets poured into trying to do something so simple... I use a piece of paper.

Good for you, I have a delta and still have not mastered manual leveling.
May 09, 2019 02:37PM
Hi Vlish,
I am afraid that I have not seen STLs or anything more than general descriptions of puck probes. Mostly they are not complicated - the one that Ohmarinus mentioned is held on by a foam collar.
As far as mastering the art of manual leveling goes, I myself may or may not have mastered that but little squiggles of ABS or PLA between the table and the build plate often render all my efforts in vain. Automatic bed leveling corrects and/or tells you about the error.

Mike
May 09, 2019 06:18PM
You could design your own with a simple limit switch and a servo. They have been done before but I think it might still be a good alternative to a BLtouch for example. The only issue with a limit switch for Z is repeatability. I have noticed that the limit switches that I used so not replicate very repetitive results. Maybe it's just the quality of these switches though.

You could get the smallest ones possible like those that they use in a cd-rom drive. Those are tiny and only weigh a gram or so. Add one to a tiny servo and you could have something running in one afternoon of crafting.

I have ordered a couple of proximity sensors last week, it's the route for me to go after my 3D touch disaster. It sometimes doesn't work... Then I have to wiggle the wires a little and it works again so I ordered a crimping tool to create my own cables. It's my last hope. I will solder my cable directly onto the 3D-touch to see if that fixes the problem but if it doesn't, well then I would just have to replace it with a proximity sensor and be done with bed leveling issues. This would be my preferred way of dealing with it, but you need to have an aluminium or metal printing surface (I use very thick aluminium self-designed bed system).

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login