Strange Temp Issue

Posted by hotbutteredhtml 
Strange Temp Issue
May 15, 2019 12:37PM
Hardware:
RADDS 1.5 w/Arduino Due r3
AD8495 Thermocouple Amp w/Type K Thermocouple on Hotend
SD6128 Stepper Drivers

Printer has been running great for the past year or two, then about 2 weeks ago I started having the following issue. When I power up the printer, the temps for both the hotend and bed show normal ambient temps. I kick off the pre-heat cycle and both the hotend and bed start heating up, however after about a second or two, the hotend will suddenly display 409° C. It will sit that way for a minute then throw a thermal runaway error. I can hit the reset button a few times and then it will start working properly. The first thing I did was to replace both the thermocouple and the amp with known working parts. This seemed to have fixed it for a few days, but then it started doing this again.

The other thing that I noticed is that sometimes after kicking off the pre-heat cycle, it will display 409° C for a few seconds, then it will display the proper temp of the hotend for a second. Then it will once again show 409°. It seems like if I keep resetting it, it will eventually start working. Once it is up to temp, I can run multiple prints back to back with no problem at all.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Thanks in advance.
Re: Strange Temp Issue
May 15, 2019 12:54PM
Check the cable connections to the controller board. Also make sure the cable hasn't gone intermittent from too much flexing by connecting a meter at the controller end of the cable, then manually move the cable around. If all is well you should see constant resistance.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Strange Temp Issue
May 25, 2019 05:55PM
Thanks DD. Sorry for the late response, life got in the way. I checked the cable end to end. Replaced the one connector in the middle and verified continuity. The problem still persists. When idle, the machine displays the correct temperature. When I kick off the pre-heat cycle, the temp on the hot end jumps to 409° C. Then after a few seconds it might flip back to the correct temperature. Then I see the LED on the RADDS board showing that it's heating up. Then after a couple seconds it'll swing back to 409° and stop heating. But if I reset the board a few times, it'll start behaving normally and I can print all day without issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login