Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Remap endstop to extruder

Posted by robertoc 
Remap endstop to extruder
June 06, 2019 04:52PM
Hi

I'm designing a 3D scanner handled by the Marlin firmware for the mechanical parts.
Compared to a 3D printer, I have no moving bed. The head of the printer is replaced by a camera.
The camera is moved along the three axis X, Y, Z. The camera is also attached to a motor allowing to be rotated along the X axis.
I have also a turntable.

On the X axis, I have only one motor and one endstop.
On the Y axis, I have two motors and one endstop
On the Z axis, I have two motors and one endstop
For the turntable there is only one motor with no endstop.
For the rotation of the camera along the X axis, there is one motor and one endstop.

I'm handling the rotation of the turntable with the E1 connector and handling the rotation of the camera with the E2 connector.
I would like to use the xmax enstop for example to handle the motor on E2.

Is it possible to customize the marlin software to do that ?
Re: Remap endstop to extruder
June 06, 2019 05:21PM
I can't help you with Marlin; but the standard build of RepRapFirmware for Duet WiFi/Ethernet can handle all of that without modification.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2019 05:22PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 07, 2019 04:56AM
Do be sure, if for example I moving along the x axis and I'm activating the y max enstop with my finger, does the firmware stop the move or just ignore the endstop and keep moving ?
June 07, 2019 05:20AM
if y max is still configured as y max. it will be ignored when moving X

In marlin there is no provision for endstops on E as E is not a general purpose axis, for eg X,Y and Z max feed rate is tied to E max feed rate when E is moving...

There was someone recently trying to hack in endstops on E .. don't know how far they got.

you really need a independent A and B axis, the traditional rotational axis..
June 07, 2019 05:56AM
My camera needs to rotate along the x axis. It allows me to look towards the turntable (z axis).
If the camera rotation is above + 90 or below -90 it will hit its supports and the camera will be damaged.
June 07, 2019 06:51AM
you might want to look at [github.com]

6 axis grbl for ramps type hardware.
June 07, 2019 03:55PM
robertoc
Do be sure, if for example I moving along the x axis and I'm activating the y max enstop with my finger, does the firmware stop the move or just ignore the endstopf and keep moving ?

RepRapFirmware will ignore the Y endstop and keep moving, unless you have configured a trigger macro file to run in response to the Y endstop.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 07, 2019 04:00PM
robertoc
My camera needs to rotate along the x axis. It allows me to look towards the turntable (z axis).
If the camera rotation is above + 90 or below -90 it will hit its supports and the camera will be damaged.

In RepRapFirmware you can configure limits for each axis, including ones you create. So in the config.g file, you would use the M584 command to create a new axis with a letter of your choice from UVWABC to represent the turntable, and use the M208 command to limit its travel to -90 to +90 degrees. No need for a special firmware build because this is all supported as standard.

June 14, 2019 09:46AM
Hi

Thanks for answering me.
What is the command and the syntax to connect an endstop to a named axis ?

How the endstop is identified by a simple number (0 .. 5) or by a pin number ?
June 14, 2019 06:29PM
robertoc
Hi

Thanks for answering me.
What is the command and the syntax to connect an endstop to a named axis ?

How the endstop is identified by a simple number (0 .. 5) or by a pin number ?

In RepRapFirmware 2 (the current stable release is 2.03) the endstop input allocation is fixed. On Duet boards the endstop inputs are labelled X Y Z E0 E1 and the E2 to E6 on the expansion connector. Inputs are allocated in the order that you create axes. So if you used the M584 command to create one additional axis for the camera, it would use the E0 endstop input. You would use a M574 command in the config.g file on the SD card to declare which end of the axis it was on and whether it was active high or active low. See [reprap.org].

In RepRapFirmware 3 (in early beta phase) the endstop input allocation is flexible, so you specify the pin name in the M574 command to define that endstop. See [duet3d.dozuki.com].

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login